Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Buying a down comforter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a down comforter

Any special things to look for in a down comforter? I dont want a very heavy one as I would like to use it year round. Any good places to get one? They are really cheap on overstock.com, almost so cheap it makes me wonder.
    Mom to three wild women.

I bought the 1000 count sheets on overstock and they're as fab as you'd hope. (if that helps)

I think LL Bean or Lands End have a Down tutorial on their website.

Jenn

Comment

We like to be on the cooler end so we use a 'summer' weight comforter year round.

Oh and we've had trouble finding a duvet cover for our down comforter that 1. has a pattern and not just a solid color and 2. we can afford.

ETA: We got ours on clearance at either BBB or Linens & Things. I was on the JCPenny website last night and I think they had some good prices too.
      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

IKEA has great duvet covers.

Jenn

Comment

We bought our duvet from JCPenney in 2002 - its probably time to replace it but its held up great.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Just got new duvet covers at smartbargains.com. They're pretty plain (but that's what I was looking for), but almost undistinguishably similar to some sold at Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn, for very cheap with really nice quality. I have a girlfriend that got different ones there, also very affordable, high thread count, and hers had matching sheets and towels available.

As for the comforter, I don't know how to pick one. We actually need a new one, but i'm putting it off for a while.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I got one from overstock -- the Aurora 240 thread count white goose down comforter. For $60 and for a spare one, I'm pleased. We use it on our guest bed (even calling our guest bed a bed makes me . Anyway.). It isn't quite as nice as the ones I have from Eddie Bauer and BBB. I think that is where they are from.

I agree w/ Jenn -- Land's End has a guide as does Cuddledown and a few other places. That should help you to select the best weight.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                IKEA has great duvet covers.

Jenn
                AND great down comforters. That's where I was going to reccomend. VERY reasonably priced.

If you want *perfect*, go to Scandia Downs, but be prepared to cough up at least one of your limbs and a child. But my-oh-my ... they may just be worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas on where to get good and inexpensive duvet covers! I was getting ready to give up on finding one that we really like.
                  Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

My entire family buys ALL (and by all I mean at least 20 by now) our down comforters from The Company Store. My SO is allergic to down so I had to buy a new comforter in their faux down material and it's not quite as nice as down, but still pretty darn good. They also have lots of heaviness grades so you can get what you like. Check it out! I LOVE this company!!!!!!

http://www.thecompanystore.com

Comment

Check Costco, if you're got one. I like the ones with boxes(?), because I don't it when down collects in one big clump in my blanket!
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                        I like the ones with boxes(?), because I don't like it when down collects in one big clump in my blanket!
                        I agree with this. We have a nice, lightweight down comforter (no idea what kind) that has the boxes and they keep the down nicely distributed. Our duvet cover is from Bed, Bath, and Beyond and I love it.
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I agree, definitely get something that is baffled or has the box quilting to keep the down fluffy and spread out.

Comment

Ah yes, it's called "baffled."

I have two baffled down coats. I never thought I would ever have to buy such things...
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Our down comforter is from Overstock, it's about 7 years old and I'm perfectly happy with it. Although it's def not as fluffy as it used to be but still very warm. On the other hand I'm not too happy with the duvet we got in IKEA, it's so scratchy. I like the ones from TJMaxx and Home Goods much better.

Overstock also has tons of coupons floating around the web.

Comment

Working...
                              X