Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

electric/gas bill ouch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric/gas bill ouch!

I am really hoping that the electric company is wrong right now!

We moved into our new house in September and I didn't realize/it didn't occur to me that we have the electric meter moved from the inside of the garage to the outside of the house, but we didn't have the gas meter moved. Since the meter is in the closed garage, they can't get to it every month and it didn't occur to us to leave the door open for them. So, since September, the electic company has been estimating our gas usage based on the previous owner's usage. (Us, a family of 3 vs the previous owner, an old man that grew up in the depression and cut every corner imaginable and then some!) They sent us a nice letter saying that they can estimate the usage for 9 months or so, but by law, after 9 months, they can cut off our service. But, you can enter your usage every month online. No big deal, right? In April, DH entered the usage online and our April bill was fine.

But, last week I was home when they came so I opened the garage door for the guy. I was a bit leary because the garage is very dark (there is only 1 window and it is covered with something) and the meter is all the way in the back corner. The guy stood in the entrance of the garage to do the reading. Today I got the bill for over $700! I don't think that he truly "read" the meter since it was so dark - you could hardly even see it! - , so they are coming back tomorrow for a re-read.

It is always something, isn't it?
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Holy crap! I would say if the re-read is just as bad they need to be able to explain why your consumption went up so much in ONE month! If your DH entered the numbers correctly in April that is ridiculous!

ugg!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Call the company and ask. You can read the meter over the phone and the company can tell you whether your bill is accurate or not.

This happened to us with the gas company. We received a bill that was based on an estimated reading and it was more than twice the amount of any of our previous gas bills. When I called, the lady had me read the meter over the phone and immediately she told me that, indeed, it had been waaaay over estimated.
      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Thats a good idea! They are supposed to come today for a re-read, but if I can find out sooner....that would be great!

Thanks!
        Kate
        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
        X