Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New Master Bath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Master Bath

So, my friend inspired me. While her husband was deployed she completely redid their office and guest room AND had all new light fixtures hung in their kitchen/great room area.

Her husband got home and loved the surprise.

The room in my house that works least and is the most ugly is the master bath. I spilled an entire 20 ounce plastic cup of water last week and watched in horror as the cork tiles absorbed about 90% of it before I could even throw a towel down. Hmmm, subfloor issues anyone? and the cork tiles are all coming up anyway. Add to it a tub that needs to be refinished, one sink, no storage, a light fixture installed on TOP of another ones base (that's a pretty look, let me tell you) and no shower, and it's a pretty useless bathroom.

I went to Lowe's today and with my 10% military discount (this weekend only) got two new vanities, new floor tile, new wall tile and new light fixtures. While my mom was here I had the contractor who had done work for us at the old house come over and we've mapped out a plan.

We're going to install a second sink/vanity because we have to rip up the floor and subfloor anyway might as well make it a functional bathroom for two adults. The pedestal sink that we currently have we're going to move to Nikolai's bathroom. (He has one of the trendy bowls that's supposed to sit on top of a nice looking piece of furniture- except that the bowl itself is this odd beigy-green ceramic and it's sitting on a vanity from the Habitat for Humanity restore. and it's too tall and he can't even spit when he's trying to brush his teeth. I have to hold him up to brush his teeth or wash his hands. not convenient) We're going to get the clawfoot tub refinished and then get a converter to turn it into a shower/bath. We're going to tile up the wall immediately behind the tub and all of the other walls we're going to put in beadboard to about 4 feet.

I got new light fixtures for both bathrooms as well. (Nikolai's bathroom currently has a brass chandelier. Not kidding. Free to good home brass chandelier once it's down. It looks like it's a pretty good quality, too.)

Finally, they're going to paint both bathrooms and Nikolai's bedroom. I'm going to paint Nikolai's trim/doors because I can reach them w/ my 7 foot ladder- the professionals are going to do the ceilings and walls.

Now I just have to wait until the bonuses get here and we'll be all set. They're delivering all the stuff on Thursday but I'm not sure when it'll be installed. I wanted to buy it while I had the military discount.

Yay!

Jenn

Jenn, you'll love it! The best improvement we've made to this house IMO is the bathroom re-do we did last year, we didn't have to replace the toilet or tub but re-did everything else - everyday I'm glad we did it.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Man, I cannot wait!

I just ordered the tub enclosure- and made sure to order the matching thing that goes across the tub that holds a book, a candle and a glass of wine.

I love the British sometimes...

The only thing left to figure out is whether to replace the toilet (it's perfectly fine but the bowl is scratched and really- a new toilet is what- 150 bucks?) and how high to make the bead board.

I'm ready to pull up the cork tomorrow but I must curtail my urges until I can actually pay for the new floor to be installed! (but I will do as much of the demolishing as possible- and I will probably paint it myself, too. or not. depends on how much they want to charge me to do it. It's the only room with a 9 foot ceiling so it's actually doable.

hmmm, the possibilities abound.

J.

Comment

It sounds fun! My cousin did the beadboard in her bathroom, and it went slightly higher than 1/2 way. I love that look. It's so clean, simple, relatively inexpensive.

DIY Demo will be a good way for you to work out some of your .... frustrations .

So not a peep to Rick about this - total surprise when he comes home? Cool.

Comment

If you can do the toilet too, I would. You can donate the other or at least that is what we did with ours. Then everything is all nice and shiny and new! Sounds like a great project!

I'm going to go spill some water on my cork to see what it does. I think it pools up.

Comment

Jenn- Yes, total surprise for his arrival. I went to the architectural salvage yard and they have the old doors with glass windows. I'm half tempted to buy one and have "Dr. Hussey- Child Neurologist" stenciled on it- you know... the "office"?

Nellie- my floors sucked it up in nanoseconds. truly horrifying.

Jenn

Comment

I figured 20 ounces would be over the top so I tried one ounce. It did pool up. Phew. Yikes, I'm thinking about all the shower moisture that must have absorbed. Good plan to pull it out of there. The beadboard will look great. How fun!

Comment

Be careful , when you pull up the cork...I am hoping there won't be a crop of mold growing under there!!

Comment

Jenn -- PLEASE take before and after pics okay???? I want to oooh and ahhhh appropriately when I see the "AFTER" pic!

Good luck! It sounds like it's going to be fantastic!!!!!
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Your plans sound amazing! I love (the idea of) home renovation projects! We've only lived in rentals, so we haven't had the opportunity to do any of our own, but it sounds like so much fun.

Comment

Be careful , when you pull up the cork...I am hoping there won't be a crop of mold growing under there!
                      I'm very sure that the entire subfloor is going to have to be replaced anyway- we have to put in another drain for the second sink so...

I will take some pictures- I need to learn to use the picture taking properties of the video camera.

Veggie- believe me, there are definite benefits to rentals. It was nice to ba able to say to the landlady, "your kitchen drawers are falling apart" and to NOT have to shell out the bucks to replace them. We've put so much money into repairs and replacing stuff in all of the houses we've owned that it's depressing to think about. (downside of preferring inner city old homes, I suppose)

Well, I'm off to buy a toilet and paint (sale at Home Depot on paint and they're doing the 10% off military discount this weekend, too)

Jenn

Comment

Yesterday we bought the toilet and a new seat and I picked up two tiles to match paint. Today we'll head over to Home Depot and buy the paint since it's on sale.

Come ON bonuses!

(the paint I've picked is Behr Irish Mist and Granite Boulder for the trim- the vanities are black and the sinks/tub toilet are white. The fixtures are all brished nickel which I really didn't want because I think the clock is ticking on that trend BUT the sink fixtures are integrated into the back splash so- what can you do)

Comment

Ooooh, I love beadboard!

How are you able to get so much done, woman, with a little toddler running around???

Comment

He comes with me. While I was ordering the tiles yesterday, I taught him to flip the carpet sample boards and to pick which ones he liked best.

it was hilarious. (pink and red were big winners. he'll get along well with his grandmother in California who had her entire house done in pink carpet)

Jenn

Comment

OMG- it looks so good and it's KILLING me to not tell him. Once the tub is in and the accessories are up, I'll post.

and man do I love Bed, Bath and Beyond. I brought in a stack of coupons- mine, my moms, expired, new...and they took them all. Got 32 bucks off my purchases plus they let me exchange 75 bucks worth of stuff with no receipt.

ahhh, two sinks. a newly repainted tub. new tile floor and wall.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X