Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dulux paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dulux paint

Anyone ever used it? The builder of the house we are buying uses it and I haven't had experience with it.

Dulux paint aka glidden.
    Needs

I just checked the consumer reports site- they don't even list that one by Glidden so I'm guessing it must be only available to contractors. Glidden's Evermore didn't do that well in the CR tests.

Jenn

Comment

I have been researching it online, but can't find much. Was hoping for some real life reviews.

ETA: The same co, ICI paints also makes Ralph Lauren paints
      Needs

Comment

FWIW, this was at least 6 years ago, but I was not impressed with RL paints. Perhaps it has changed since then. I used a dark red color which is harder to get good coverage to begin but still...not impressed. The paint store I got it from discontinued it because they weren't happy with the product. Great color options, though.

We probably used Glidden somewhere in our house. I think we painted our kitchen with Glidden before we moved. It was fine but not as good as Benjamin Moore. Since we moved, I can't say how it held up. And if you aren't the one painting, application doesn't matter. It looked good.

ETA: We used Behr on our Denver kitchen cabinets. We kept the dog food in one cabinet and it got, uh, some serious dog slobber action. Eww. Always cleaned up nicely (but it was gloss).

Comment

From experience I have to suggest that paint is one thing worth upgrading and paying for. We've used Glidden, Behr, Sherwin-Williams, Iowa, & Restoration Hardware, and our house also has Ralph Lauren paint in it from the previous owners.

We've been thrilled with Sherwin Williams. My main beef with them is their actual color selection, so we've often ended up doing matches which aren't always great. We've been pleasantly surprised by Restoration Hardware. It's been in my kitchen for almost 18 months, and held up very well. It's in the basement, too, and I'm sure most will recall when Quinn PAINTED on it just 2 months after we'd repainted. It all wiped off (Quinn's paint was still wet --- but I was still very impressed.) Behr covers well, but faded quite a lot in our LR in Cleveland. We had a huge picture window, that let a lot of sun in, but I still didn't think it should fade like that. On the other hand, my cousin (and all of HGTV) swears by Behr paint (she's the one who produces Design to Sell). We've not really tested the Ralph Lauren paint -- it's in the dog's room. I wouldn't paint a thing with Glidden.

I hope that's helpful. Not exactly what you were asking, I know.

Comment

the consumer reports recommended paints based on the amount of light getting into the room and BM was rated very highly (which was my experience in my sunny house in DC.)

I liked painting with the BM paints - I think their saturated colors go on very cleanly- although I still had to double coat everything.

The painters like using those paints too.

I like Behr for this house because I'm going to have to buy in vast quantities. I always liked Behr in my previous houses- it was just that in DC the hardware store that sold BM paints was 8 blocks away, as opposed to the Home Depot which was across town.

Jenn

Comment

I really like BM colors, and often use theirs to match to. I *think* they're similar in quality to Sherwin Williams, and we can usually get a nice discount on SW b/c a good friend is an attorney in their legal department.

Comment

*If* I remember correctly, we used BM, but a more expensive, pemium quality of paint. I'll look it up to make sure I am remembering it right. I had just finished painting one room with Behr and I was surprised by how much smoother and silkier the BM was. The color also changed quite a bit with the light changes. I was told this is a quality with BM? That it is important to know your lighting because it is so responsive?

Comment

What does BM stand for?

We're (I'm) about to begin painting the new house.

Comment

Benjamin Moore-which has got to be one of the least easy to type corporate ids, EVER.

Jenn

Comment

I just love painting the walls with BM. :>

Brave of you to ask, Heidi!

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                        the consumer reports recommended paints based on the amount of light getting into the room and BM was rated very highly (which was my experience in my sunny house in DC.)

I liked painting with the BM paints - I think their saturated colors go on very cleanly- although I still had to double coat everything.

The painters like using those paints too.

I like Behr for this house because I'm going to have to buy in vast quantities. I always liked Behr in my previous houses- it was just that in DC the hardware store that sold BM paints was 8 blocks away, as opposed to the Home Depot which was across town.

Jenn

So seeing as how the window sun screens still can't hold back the desert sun, I should go w/BM? My housekeepr & I are going to start painting once the 2 older kids go to school in a few weeks!

Comment

I'll look it up and get back to you because they recommended specific brands and finishes.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                          X