Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

One big sink, or double sink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One big sink, or double sink?

We have the worlds crappiest, smallest sink. It's only 6.5" deep, white & stains if you set ANYTHING in it. Since we cancelled our trip to Chicago, dh and I have decided to get a few things done around the house on his week off, one of which is buying / installing a new sink.

I'm kind of drawn to the one, huge sink, while dh still likes the double (which is what we've always had).

Preferences? Reasons?

Thanks.

Kitchen sink?

I like a single DEEP sink.

Bathroom?

Two separate sinks.

Jenn

Comment

kitchen - for clarification.

dh's concern is that we usually set pots & pans in the other side to dry. i figure this will force us to dry and put away ... and I think a big sink would be so cool.

Comment

I prefer one big sink. We currently have the double sink and I never use one side.

I'm a dishwasher gal- I handwash only the dishes that can't go in the dishwasher. (How did people manage before the dishwasher?? ) So I store all of my dirty dishes in the dishwasher until I'm ready to run the dishwasher. Isn't that the idea behind the double sink: separating the dirty and clean dishes?
        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I definitely prefer a double sink. One side for dishes and one side for draining pasta, peeling and washing vegetables. I think it is better tha way for multitasking. I have had both, and I definitely hate having a single basin.

ETA: The double sink must be large to accomdate large pots and pans. They also have sinks that are double, but one side is much, much smaller. That might be the best of both worlds for you.

Just an example, there are others and many to choose from.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Big sink vote from me.
            Our last place had double and it was a pain, especially to soak some big pans, like a roaster. I thought it would be nice at first since we could soak pans and rinse dishes on one side and keep the other free to clean veggies/fruits, etc. but more often it was just a nuisance.

Comment

I prefer one big sink (although we have a double sink). Much more utility with the large, single space. For drying pots, wash them out, keep a stack of dishtowels under your cabinet, lay one on the counter, and let the pots dry there (that's what I do now, even having a double sink - I think it works better).
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

My mother's ultra super deluxe kitchen has a smaller prep sink in the island and the large deep sink in the 'regular' counter spot.

It's nice.

Jenn

Comment

Wow, people really like that single sink.

We have a double with one side bigger than the other. The bigger side is about 17" by 17" and both sides are 10" deep. I use both sides ALL the time. I can wash stuff and run the disposal on one side while I have greens being rinsed or soaked on the other (or dishes). I wanted one big sink but since DH does most of the dishwashing he vetoed me. I'm glad he did. We dry the dishes on the side -- and only wash things that can't go in the dishwasher. I agree, what did people do before dishwashers? At least with kids and lots of cooking.

Ditto to everything Heidi said.

Either way, Jenn, I would add a deeper sink to the criteria. Are you thinking stainless steel or cast iron? We had the Kohler Executive Chef in our Denver kitchen and it was great. My mom had the same sink but hers had some sort of coating on it and pots and pans never marked it. Ours did get some of those gray marks.

Comment

Two sinks here. We have had 3 sinks in 7 years we have been here. The initial builder installed sink was white single and got torn up super quick. Second was stainless double that were equal in size. When we put the granite counters in we put in a double stainless with one side bigger and deeper. New high mount single faucet that has the retactable sprayer in the faucet and I absolutely love it. Small side has the disposal and veggie prep is a breeze. Its also undermounted so much less cleanup!

Comment

I definitely prefer a double sink! I like to be able use both at the same time (draining pasta, rinsing vegetables, etc. on one side and then setting the cooking supplies that I'm finished with in the other side.) I'll never go back to a single sink...nope never!
                      I love the picture that was posted with a double sink with one side bigger than the other. That seems positively dreamy to me!

Comment

I say double w/ one being larger.I prefer the convience of being able to run the disposal while there are other things in the other side. I also like to set my packages of frozen meats or fish to thaw on one side while still being able to use the other! Just my :02:

Comment

I think Consumer Reports had a fairly recent article on sinks and different materials.

Comment

I like the double sink for all ofthe above reasons!
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                            X