Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

letting your cleaning person go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letting your cleaning person go...

...for someone ten times better?

I've been reasearching and have found out we are being WAY overcharged by our current cleaning person.

I have found someone else who will do MORE than my current person for 35 dollars LESS a cleaning. Additionally, my current cleaning person has gotten a bit too "comfortable" in my house ...helping herself to pop and coffee as she cleans. It's just not a fit anymore. She sometimes uses my rags to clean things. (Yes I've talked to her about all of this.)

So how do I fire this person I'm using now?
    I plan on giving her two weeks notice.
    I'm scared she'll lower her rate and beg to stay. I'll still say NO but hate a scene and don't want my kids to witness anything too weird. (I'm thanking myself AGAIN for not giving this person a key to our house.)

Can I do it in a letter!!???? (PLEASE SAY YES!!! )
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Re: letting your cleaning person go...

No - I don't think so.

You have to get the mindset of employer / employee. Glad you found someone you think will be a better fit.

Comment

Congrats on finding the better deal.

If you're really worried about CL making a scene then there's no telling what she may do to your home/things while you're not looking after she gets the pink slip. The next time she comes to clean, when she is ready to leave for the day, I would give her the news then and also give her whatever you were going to pay her for the next two weeks and don't let her come back.

Comment

If you do let her go and she has keys, make sure you change your locks!
        Danielle
        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't do the two weeks notice. If you feel like there are boundary issues and you aren't happy otherwise. If you were happy with her and really just cutting back then I would do two weeks.

I had hired someone to clean our house through selling it and the summer. She got waaaay nosy and I didn't feel comfortable anymore with her being in my house. After she was done, I told her "bigger house, bigger mortgage, I'm going to do it myself." I told her I was happy with her cleaning (I wasn't) because it just didn't seem worth it to get into it with her.

We found someone new who does a better job, for $15 more in 2x as much space.

I agree about the trial run. And probably a good idea to clarify with this person if she can use your cleaning supplies or not, have coffee, etc. Our new housecleaner uses microfiber rags that she keeps at our house and I wash after she leaves. That is working out well for us.

Comment

I told her I was happy with her cleaning (I wasn't) because it just didn't seem worth it to get into it with her.
            Yeah, I'm a big fan of the weasel method. This way everybody gets to save face. I wasn't going to mention it because everyone here was so straightforward, but I'd try to get out of it as vaguely as possible.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by LDRO
              If you do let her go and she has keys, make sure you change your locks!
              I've NEVER given anyone who "works" for us keys.
              Maybe someday but not now.
              Flynn

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by house elf
                I told her I was happy with her cleaning (I wasn't) because it just didn't seem worth it to get into it with her.
                Yeah, I'm a big fan of the weasel method. This way everybody gets to save face. I wasn't going to mention it because everyone here was so straightforward, but I'd try to get out of it as vaguely as possible.

Kelly
                I think I'll do a trial run with the new lady...see how it goes while keeping the old one and just using her once for the month. It would make me nervous to totally drop the one I use now and see what happens with the new one.

I will do the vague "we've decided to go a different direction" tact when I do drop our current person.
                Flynn

Comment

Who you calling weasel, Kelly? :>

Comment

Who you calling weasel, Kelly?
                    I have been throwing some zingers your way, haven't I? It's only b/c I luv you and feel comfortable enough to do so.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Well.....I don't know if it's any help, but...I managed to get DH to fire our cleaning lady for me because I cleaned like a mad woman before she came each time, brewed us coffee and then sat and chatted with her about her pending divorce and son' upcoming wedding. I couldn't bare for her to actually find mess/dirt in the house and....dh finally said "enough is enough".

You could put the monkey on his back.

Kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                        You could put the monkey on his back.
                        Now THERE'S a good idea!

Seriously though, I wouldn't do a two weeks notice either. I'd give her a day off and have your new person come in her place. If she does a good job, call the old CL and tell her she's canned (more eloquently than that, of course.) If she doesn't, then it was just "a day off" and the old CL can remain clueless.

Also, with the new CL, I'd tell her the exact reasons you fired the old CL so she knows you are serious about boundaries. No sense repeating situations or even taking that chance right?

Comment

...I cleaned like a mad woman before she came each time, brewed us coffee and then sat and chatted with her about her pending divorce and son' upcoming wedding.
                          this made me laugh...

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheBeach
                            ...I cleaned like a mad woman before she came each time, brewed us coffee and then sat and chatted with her about her pending divorce and son' upcoming wedding.
                            this made me laugh...
                            :>

What's funny is that I always felt so mad at her for not REFUSING my coffee and help...did I mention that I also always tried to clean WITH her so that she didn't feel like I thought she was inferior or I thought I was too good to clean my own house.

Seriously...my issues runneth over!

Anyone here want to come be my cleaning lady? (translation: come put your feet up and have a cup of coffee while I listen to your problems and wipe down my own countertops?)

kris
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

How much do you pay to watch me sit and serve me coffee?

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X