Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

window of injury and death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window of injury and death

we have very large picture windows all over our house. one specifically..on the front porch seems to be a target for flying practice.

birds keep hitting it. they usually leave a feather mark...but just a few minutes ago one hit, broke its neck and landed on my outside table. rest in peace little bird.

anyhow, im afraid a bigger bird will hit it, eventually...breaking my window. and of course, if i could keep anymore little birdies from dying that would be good too. any thoughts on what i can do? can i put something on the window?

my windows are sooo clean...i can see why they would be confused thinking they could go right thru it.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Re: window of injury and death

Poor birdies! My parents have two largish windows on a corner, and since the birds can see right through both to the trees on the other side, they occasionally get one hitting one or the other. They keep the blinds down on one or the other most of the time; not an elegant solution, but it seems to work. Maybe some sheer drapes; not enough to block the view entirely, but enough to make it not look like they can just fly all the way through your house?
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Stickers? Some kind of kids artwork hung?
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

hang a wind chime out infront of it ?? :huh:

Comment

Can you perch a plastic owl on the top of the window on the outside? One that wouldn't obstruct your view? Or a plastic snake - birds don't like either.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
            Can you perch a plastic owl on the top of the window on the outside? One that wouldn't obstruct your view? Or a plastic snake - birds don't like either.
            ditto
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Sorry, I love animals, it's not funny. But I can't stop laughing.

I have no idea what to do. The owl/snake thing sounds interesting. Maybe a statue to set on that table by the window?? :huh:

Comment

Get a giant target. Hang it on the window. Then take bets on which bird will die the closest to the center.

Comment

i'll pass on the snake, thanks.

i'll try a bird of prey on the window. thanks for the suggestions!
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Those clear spider web cling ons are sometimes used around here. You can just stick them on the glass. I've also heard that it's a problem when the windows reflect the trees/forest behind them. Maybe you could just put up something in the background to reflect in the glass? Like a big pot or a table and umbrella?

The state park near here has black netting erected in front of all its glass windows. That seems extreme, but they had a number of birdie deaths. And they are pro-wildlife after all.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                    X