Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Possible dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible dumb question

Our gas bill was three times as much as the previous bill. uch: After I called my cardiologist, I called the gas company and asked for a second reading. The only thing that we have done different is turn on the fireplace a few times, could this jack the bill up to three times the normal amount. (It is one of those flip switch gas fireplaces that was installed in our new construction house in 2005--these things have to be somewhat energy efficient right?) Anyone?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Re: Possible dumb question

Wow, I don't think ours changed our bill that much and we turned it on every night. That was 4+ years ago and I know gas prices have changed quite a bit.

Don't you hate that when utilities jump so much? FWIW, the power or gas company did misread my MILs bill -- it was off by $500 or so -- because of a faulty meter. They re-read and adjusted.

Comment

Can you use the gas to light regular logs...then once you get the logs burning, turn off the gas?? I think that's what my boss does.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

This happened to us two winters ago. The bill was for $500 on top of the monthly bill, and I freaked. The meter was read wrong for the previous 6 or more months. So I got the extra put on a payment plan and paid it off over 6 months, totally sucked.

Comment

gas burning fireplaces cost $4-6 per hour they are on
          . Then our bill has to be in error. It is over by $360+. I estimate that we used the fireplace for ten hours, not sixty to eighty hours. I'm hoping that they correct this. Thanks for the good info guys!

Kelly

Comment

All our bills have recently gone up quite a bit. It's because of lovely tax increases. Thank you very much, democrats...

But not by as much as yours Kelly. Something fishy is going on there.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

You know, the same thing happened to us. I just thought maybe we had the temp set too high in the house. I did not know about the gas fireplace. This is my first one. WOW!! I do not think we will be using it much again.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

First, have the gas company come and re-read the meters.

Secondly, gas prices have gone up universally (and not just from taxes, either...besides, how the hell else are we supposed to pay to clean up the spewing filthy air?)

and thirdly, make sure that your fireplace is sealed properly- if there's a draft, you could be sucking the gas a lot more than you think you are. The gas people should be able to do an assessment of the lines around the fireplace.

Jenn

Comment

Kelly - Do you know if Duke has been reading your meter every month or just estimating your usage? It is possible that they have been estimating your usage fbased on the previous owners usage over the past few months and then did an actual reading for the last bill. If they have been underestimating your usage then that might be the reason for the high bill.

This happened to us last year. A single 90 year old man used to live in our house and apparently he was very frugal. Duke estimated our gas bill based on his usage for about 7 months so we were severly underpaying. They finally came and did a reading of the meter and we had underpaid by $700! That bill sucked!!
                  Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

It is possible that they have been estimating your usage fbased on the previous owners usage over the past few months and then did an actual reading for the last bill. If they have been underestimating your usage then that might be the reason for the high bill.
                    Ohmygoodness. Our house was empty for a year while a relocation company used minimal energy to show the house. This could be it.

Kelly

Comment

oh - I hope it's not ...

Comment

Ugh! That would suck! Did you get in touch with their customer service? If memory serves me correctly - they can come out and do a re-read or you can read the meter to them over the phone.

FYI - you can enter your meter reads online for the future if your meter is inside and you aren't available to let them in to do the readings. We do this (when I remember).....
                        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
                        X