Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The garden

Well, for those of you in the frosty north of the country, just skip this part.

Today I planted: oregano, curly parsley, flat parsley, dill, basil, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, big girl tomatoes, two dozen onions, three marigolds.

Tomorrow we'll plant the yellow bell, jalapeno, and poblano peppers, the zucchini, yellow and crook neck squashes, the citrus tree (unknown variety- we'll find out eventually I guess!), and we have lots of seeds to plant.

Of course, you will remember that these will be burning under the South Texas sun by July.

Jenn

Re: The garden

Sounds wonderful!!!! Lucky you!

May 15th was always the date we waited for planting back home in Minnesota. I think it's pretty similar here in Chicago.

When will you be harvesting?

Comment

We've been preparing to plant as well. The "soil" here is caliche and we had to go buy a pick ax to dig the holes . We are planting Haas avocado, fig, plum, apricot...these are in addition to the olive, naval orange, tangelo,2 varieties of lemon, and pomegranate the landscaper guys planted for us. We had 12" curbing poured for two 6x4 vegetable beds. DH has been removing gravel then combining compost and planting soil in them in preparation for the veggie garden. I am still up in the air about weather to plant the herbs in decorative containers or not. My sister told me the mint can grow out of control. We are going to do Italian as well as curly parsley, basil, rosemary,mint and coriander/cilantro. If I go the decorative container route, I'll keep them under the covered patio. That way I can just slide open the door, and snip snip some fresh herbs!

Comment

I'm so jealous! We still have snow on the ground and it was only in the mid-30's today. They are forecasting flurries again. Bastards. (the weathermen, not those lucky enough to be in warmer climates.)
        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by monadatter
          Sounds wonderful!!!! Lucky you!
          My thoughts exactly!

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
            We've been preparing to plant as well. The "soil" here is caliche and we had to go buy a pick ax to dig the holes . We are planting Haas avocado, fig, plum, apricot...these are in addition to the olive, naval orange, tangelo,2 varieties of lemon, and pomegranate the landscaper guys planted for us.
            Absolutely Amazing!!!! I can barely imagine being able to grow these plants in my yard. How lucky for you. Makes me rethink our rank order list (oops... too late).

Comment

I'm just glad 75% of our snow is gone! Your planting sounds fabulous!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I ended up planting a tangarine and a red grapefruit so we'll have to see how those do. I also planted peas but they might not do well if we get a string of 90 degree days too soon.

I'm stiff but it'll all be worth it. I'm so tired of paying $5.99 for a yellow bell pepper from some foreign land.

Jenn

Comment

Curly is waaaay better for tabouli salad. We use the flat leaf in pastas and when we make stuffed grape leaves. Both are nice to add to a chopped salad for more color and more nutrients. My DH is originally from the the mid-east/Syria; parsley is used quite a bit!

Comment

Working...
                  X