Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

More help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help!

We have a whole house to furnish! Please any advice on websites that are helpful, places to buy furniture (cheaply of course), decorating tips!

This is all exciting but very overwhelming!

Re: More help!

cheap=IKEA

It's still sturdy, and several pieces are even attractive. You can't beat the price point though.

Comment

also - look on craigslist! I would assume with the in/out resident community you're going to be in, they probably have quite a bustling craigslist. You may also check w/the Residency office. Our spouses group did a "yellow pages" of referrals (hairstylist, vet, doc, etc.) and a classified-type thing.

Comment

Craigslist and Freecycle are definites. I got rid of so much stuff through Craigslist.

Check ebay, too. I just got a set of dining room chairs with new upholstery for $122 off eBay.

Jenn

Comment

IKEA all the way. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have one around wherever we may end up moving.

And not to hijack, but how do you guys do Freecycle and Craigslist? I consider myself to be an early internet adopter and my parents met on an online dating site years ago, yet I can't bring myself to meet a total stranger to exchange goods and money. :anyolne:
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

Depending on your taste in furniture, you might also want to check out second hand/vintage stores. West Elm is also pretty reasonably priced and have good sales.

I also second IKEA and ebay. Our IKEA stuff is on its 8th year and went through 3 moves, so it's not quite disposable.

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette
              And not to hijack, but how do you guys do Freecycle and Craigslist? I consider myself to be an early internet adopter and my parents met on an online dating site years ago, yet I can't bring myself to meet a total stranger to exchange goods and money. :anyolne:
              I totally do Craigslist. I've never done freecycle. I'll admit that I will still get uncomfortable about the idea of someone coming to pick something up - so I usually make sure dh or my big, burly neighbor are home. When the guy came to get the Step 2 kitchen (toy) I alerted my neighbors that a strange man was in my house and to please listen for screams. I've never gone to get and/or look at something I've bought on craigslist. The only thing I've bought was a washer/dryer, and dh had to go pick that up.

Comment

Unfortunately Craigslist isn't big here, but there is a Mayo intraweb site that always has tons of stuff for sale. I think your DH should get access to the intranet before he starts. Maybe there will be something about it in his paperwork??

IKEA is always great and there is a new HOM here in town though we haven't been there so I'm not sure what their prices are.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

During training we founds some inexpensive pieces that didn't look crappy at Dania. We still have our Dania love seat and couch...in the basement.

Whatever you buy -- get the microsuede fabric (not twill or cotton!!!!). It's AWESOME!!!

HOM has decent prices but it's much more expensive than IKEA. (but anything is. IKEA is great!)
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                  X