Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

a big furniture weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a big furniture weekend

Let's see ...

I put my dining room table & 6 chairs on craigslist a week ago. On Saturday a lovely woman came and picked them up and handed me $500 (I only paid $850 six years ago). While she was here she was talking about how much she loves Mission style furniture and how hard it is to find (???), so I offered that our two living room chairs could also be up for grabs if she was interested. She bought them for $150. They are old, beat up, and IMO - UGLY. We got them 2 years ago 2nd hand from SueC along w/her couch. We paid $750 for all 3 items, but in my mind I was paying for the 2 year old leather couch - and I never really liked the chairs. The leather was almost plum colored - and I'm not a leather girl anyway. The arms were scratched up and her 100 lb Golden used to sit on one and watch out the window. Those chairs were definitely passing time in my house until I could buy ones I liked.

I sold the DR table w/the intention of buying a desk to put in the dining room. I want to move the boy's computer up here so I can monitor what they're doing on it. And I think I've posted here before about the futility of having 2 big tables w/in 20 ft. of each other. We never, ever used the DR table other than for the boys to play Heroscape (our kitchen table can seat 8). I'd picked out the desk I wanted from World Market, so I went there around noon to pick it up. It's nice, sturdy, and wasn't very expensive, so if the boys muck it up, I won't lose my mind. http://www.worldmarket.com/Furniture/ho ... /index.pro

Then we went as a family to our favorite big-box store where we have an interest free account. Our plan was to get 2 chairs to replace the ones I sold. I wanted chairs that rock, but not an overstuffed man chair. I ended up buying one of these (NOT THIS FABRIC!) http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.ASPX?LVL ... D=26023044 Mine will be mocha colored w/a very muted, narrow stripe. And then we also bought a ..... sectional sofa! I can't find a picture online (their website doesn't have 1/2 the furniture they have in the store). It will be beige microfiber (I'm SO excited to be done with leather), w/accent pillows that have brown/beige and robin's egg blue on them. It's similar to this one http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.ASPX?LVL ... D=27857051 . It's definitely middle-of-the-road furniture cost/quality wise, and I'm fine with that. I live with the duo of destruction and 2 furry creatures, not to mention dh, and I'm really not interested in making a big furniture investment right now. I just want comfortable yet esthetically pleasing, and I'm really happy with what I picked out.

My sofa will be going up on craigslist in early May - the sofa is supposed to be in in mid-May.

Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE CRAIGSLIST!

Re: a big furniture weekend

Can't see the items on the list, but it sounds like you scored some good items!
    Gotta love that accomplished feeling!

Comment

I am cracking up because this is typically how things go with a house. I think I need to replace this...which instigates an entire series of house projects and furniture purchases.

Have fun with your new stuff!

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I really like the desk! I may have to check out world market-- I'm in the market for a desk, of course I don't actually have space for one...
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Have fun with your new purchases!

I could only see the desk but it looks really nice!
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I like!
            I was able to view them! Way to go! Do the chairs swivel and rock?

Pictures please, when you get it all set up!
            BTW Does this mean painting again?

Comment

Gotta love Craig's List! I was only able to see the desk, but I really like it! Enjoy your new furniture!!

Comment

Yes, the chair swivels and rocks. And no - no painting again. My husband will tolerate purchasing furniture every few years, but painting is a bit of a sore spot between us.

Thanks all! I have no idea why the picture links worked for some and not others. Sorry about that.

Comment

Yay for new furniture!!! Sounds like you did great!!

OH and BTW I also LOVE craigslist. LOL! Don't you meet the most "interesting" people off of craigslist?? hahaha Last year when we left CT I laughed so much at the people that showed up for cheap and/or free stuff. I especially laughed my a$$ off at the guy that showed up in a BMW for the 6 free bags of play sand! And then he asks me if I'm giving anything else away! hahaha love it!
                  Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                  "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I moved this to it's own thread!

Comment

Congrats! It must feel great to finally get it decided upon. I'm living vicariously as I keep the Frebreeze handy before sitting on the couch!

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                        Congrats! It must feel great to finally get it decided upon. I'm living vicariously as I keep the Frebreeze handy before sitting on the couch!

Jenn
                        Thanks!

We already told the kids that the formal living room will be a NO KID AREA, once the furniture arrives!

Comment

Jenn, love the desk. Post pictures when you get the chairs and sectional in place (I couldn't see those, either.)

Comment

Working...
                          X