Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Angie's List?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angie's List?

So the downside of home ownership is that you actually have upkeep. We're considering replacing some windows in the new condo since some of them are fogged to the point where you can't see through them (a common problem according to our home inspector).

Anyway, I've heard ads before for Angie's List as a repository of good information/advice about contractors or quotes but I didn't realize you had to pay a user fee. I'm willing to pay if the referrals are good but of course you can't see any information until you join and pay.

I'm not sure we're going to do much home improvement that we'll need contractors for except this one thing. Has anyone ever used Angie's list - was it worth it?

Thanks!
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Re: Angie's List?

Yes, several of us have! I LOVE them. I use them for any referral of any contractor of any kind.

It's well worth the fee.

Jenn

Comment

i know several people who have used it and been quite satisfied. you may also want to wait until you close on the condo, b/c first time homebuyers get slews of offers for discounts on services, and sometimes free trial memberships to places like Angie's List.

My aunt had her windows replaced a few years ago in Mayfield Village. I can ask her who she used - she's VERY particular about workers, etc.

Comment

It depends on how developed it is for your area. It's fairly new here and not much is on it just yet.

Comment

Any recommendations would be great.

Any idea on how developed the recommendations are in Cleveland? Also, are there other recommendations included besides home repair that might be useful? As I said, I doubt I'll be doing a lot of home repair but general area recommendations would be helpful.
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Angies List has been around in Cleveland since at least when we bought our first house (in 2000). There should be plenty of worthwhile information on there.

I'll see if I can find out who my aunt had do her windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ekreter
              Any idea on how developed the recommendations are in Cleveland?
              I have never seen the Cleveland Angie's List site, but talk of it does get tossed around on the Cleveland Clinic spouses' Yahoo group....tossed around in a positive way.

Comment

Hmm, well I don't think I need a doctor right now. What I need is someone to install windows while Max tries to become a doctor...

Comment

Here's what my aunt said re: windows

I bought Weathershield windows from Mentor Lumber. The people there were very nice. I didn't, however, use them for installation because I had my wonderful carpenter, Bill, do the install.

Weathershield is the brand I have used for all the windows we've replaced beginning in 1999 (I think). They were mostly casement windows, although 4 of the upstairs windows on the sides we added last year are double hung. This is the brand recommended by the carpenter who built our deck. He built high-end custom homes in Kirtland, and this is the brand he used for them. We trusted his opinion and valued his judgment.

I've had absolutely no problems with any of these windows. I was told when I did my window search that Weathershield is as good as Andersen and Pella and less expensive. I was told that the only reason you don't hear about them is they aren't a national brand which advertises a lot.

I'm hoping to replace the dining room windows this summer and since my buddy Bill is moving to North Carolina I'll probably use Mentor Lumber for the installation.

I did meet another carpenter I'll probably use in the future (since Bill is abandoning me) if your friend would like his name. Our school district uses him on school projects. He comes highly recommended and is super nice, although I haven't used him yet.
                  Hope that helps! Let me know if you'd like the name of the new carpenter.

Comment

Working...
                  X