Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

HOA's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOA's

I know Cheri and I go back and forth joking about Johnson County HOA's - but this is so ... telling ... of the way some folks are about their homes and their stuff around here that I thought I'd share.

Lots of neighborhood garage sales this time of year. Falcon Ridge Estates - the subdivision across the road from mine - actually offered a "preview night" for their neighborhood garage sale! Wednesday night from 6 to 7, people were supposed to drag out their good stuff for others to come and view, and then buyers were supposed to head back out first thing Thursday morning to snatch things up.

Freaking crazy.

Re: HOA's

Ok, that's hilarious!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Is their stuff that good? Will there be a line at the door?
      Needs

Comment

I take garage saling VERY seriously. I would have gone to the preview night.
        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

When I worked at the homeless shelter we'd get donations from some of the wealthier synagogues and churches and damned if the boss didn't rifle through everything before putting it out for the clients.

(same boss also got caught using the United Way $ for personal business)

Jenn- go on over and take some pictures so we can see how us Dawkter's spouses are SUPPOSED to be living!

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland
            I take garage saling VERY seriously. I would have gone to the preview night.
            I love a good bargain, but my experience has been (around here) that the wealthier neighborhoods tend to think their junk should sell for more $$.

I did not go - to the preview and/or to any garage sales in the neighborhood.

As an aside, my Spanish friend (has lived in the states for 10+ years) took her mom (visiting from Spain) to some garage sales yesterday. Her mother was just amazed/entranced/appalled. Apparently they don't do this in Spain, and her mom kept saying "But Marta! Those are old shoes! They're dirty! People are asking for money for them!" They planned to go back out today - and her mom wanted her to take along the camera so she'd have pictures to show her friends back home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
              Originally posted by Cumberland

As an aside, my Spanish friend (has lived in the states for 10+ years) took her mom (visiting from Spain) to some garage sales yesterday. Her mother was just amazed/entranced/appalled. Apparently they don't do this in Spain, and her mom kept saying "But Marta! Those are old shoes! They're dirty! People are asking for money for them!"
              I'm with your friend's mom.

Comment

While I can't imagine buying used shoes at a rummage sale (watch, now I will find a brand new pair of something I couldn't normally afford), I have no qualms about used furniture. We've picked up a few bargins that way and I firmly intend to find a new dresser for Caleb this summer.
                Kris

Comment

A garage sale on a Thursday morning? :huh: I thought all garage sales / yard sales took place on Saturdays (and occasionally Sundays).

Is that a regional thing? Or is it a demographic thing at the neighborhood level? I.E. Virtually every household has at least one stay-at-home parent who will be available to sell and / or buy on a weekday morning. :huh:

Comment

Here garage sales are almost always Friday & Saturday. People take off to man them if necessary, the "true" bargain hunters are out first thing Friday morning.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

In Ohio garage sales were always Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Here less so - more just Fri/Sat. I don't think it has to do w/one stay-at-home person. My garage sales in Ohio were always hit by the retirees, junk buyers, and old Jewish ladies first thing Thursday.

Oh - that's another thing. Garage sales in Cleveland Heights were virtually dead on Saturdays b/c of the high Jewish population.

Comment

I can't remember the usual day for garage sales in the town my MIL used to live in but it was a weekday. Good thing someone told me or I would have had one on the weekend. Go figure!

Comment

In my hometown garage sales are huge- and they are pretty much done with by about 10 am on FRIDAY... So when we had a garage sale, we did have all sorts of people out there on Friday by 5 am just waiting... It sucked. But we made $900 so that was good.

:huh:
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                          X