Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What is the best way to pack hangers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to pack hangers?

I am only packing the plastic ones, but I have loads of them. Any suggestions?
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: What is the best way to pack hangers?

Is this bad??? I just chuck 'em out when we move and buy new ones. They take up too much space and are cheap. I know, I know. I'm not helpful.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I was going to say wardrobe boxes but you mean you are packing just the hangers and have the clothes packed separately? Maybe nest them in a big box?

Comment

I don't pack the hangers separately. We're using wardrobe boxes for things that really shouldn't wrinkle. For things that are ok to wrinkle, I'm just packing the clothes, folded over with the hangers, into plastic boxes.

Any leftover hangers are going to be a pain. It might help to stick a soft object, even a roll of paper towels, through the center of the stack of hangers. ???

Comment

I took everything off the hangers and folded it neatly **at first**. Now I am shoving nice dresses into boxes just bc I cant bear to pack one more article of clothing!
          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I actually used clothes as packing material for breakable items. Hangars probably got shoved in an old shopping bag and were thrown on top of everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
              Is this bad??? I just chuck 'em out when we move and buy new ones. They take up too much space and are cheap. I know, I know. I'm not helpful.
              A tad wasteful, no? At least donate them to the salvation army or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                Originally posted by alison
                A tad wasteful, no? At least donate them to the salvation army or something.
                Definitely wasteful. But when I'm in the throes of moving, I get desperate/antsy/cranky.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                  I actually used clothes as packing material for breakable items. Hangars probably got shoved in an old shopping bag and were thrown on top of everything else.
                  This sounds like what I am planning.

Comment

I put the extra hangers along with shoes at the bottom of the wardrobe boxes. Are you not using any wardrobe boxes?

They are cheap, but I can tell you with as many as I have, if I were to rebuy them all it would add up quickly.
                    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I leave them.

Of course, I never EVER take anything off the hangers to stack w/ because that's one more thing to have do when you get there. But any left over hangers will stay. and I leave the lightbulbs and a roll of toilet paper because I hate moving somewhere, getting to where you need to be and of course having to pee like a fricken race horse only to find that the cheap bastards took the lightbulbs and TP out of the bathroom.

I also have learned to BRING a pkg of TP in the car. Like the 6 count pkg.

Hmmm, can you tell I've moved far too many times?

Jenn

Comment

You could write a book, Jenn.

I think that wardrobe boxes are the best moving boxes ever. Why did we not have them until our most recent move? They are pricey but totally worth it. Also a good one to flatten and hang on to for any future remodeling projects or the next move.

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland
                          I am only packing the plastic ones, but I have loads of them. Any suggestions?
                          My first couple moves I tossed them, but then soon wised up that I was buying tons at each place. I've pack plastic hangers two ways so far. 1. Buy a small box of those mesh-hard-to-tear-type garbage bags. Is it Hefty that makes them? Anyways, just shove the hangers in those bags and your hangers will arrive ok. 2. I had about 50 extra zip ties laying around (who the heck knows why Dh buys the stuff he does LOL!!) and decided to zip tie 5-6 together and put them in boxes between out linens.

UK hangers however will remain here in the UK. haha I don't need them that bad.... this time.
                          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I just use a large paper shopping bag from the mall. I line them up upright on the bottom (maybe 12 will fit across?) , then take another neat pile and stack them one one side, then the other. Kind of like a triangle of hangers. It's hard to explain! I usually have 2-3 large shopping bags of hangers. Then we can throw them on top of anything in the moving truck because they're so light.

Comment

We always put them in the giant black trash bags. When we moved from Seattle to Denver, we put all of our clothes in trash bags, sucked the air out, duct taped it shut, and threw that in to a couple of giant plastic totes- saved in having to buy boxes. The totes I still use for other things.

My dad is retired military and we moved ALOT growing up. My mom would never move the broom, mop, or dust pan. I do the same thing. The saying was "Leave your old dirt at the old home, and don't bring old dirt into your new home."
                              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
                              X