Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Septic vs Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic vs Public

Some of the houses that look promising online have septic sewage and well water. How bad is that and should we bother looking at them or just stick to the ones that are on the public system? All I know about septic is that you can't flush anything but toilet paper.

Re: Septic vs Public

I grew up with a septic system and I wouldn't recommend it. My dad was always having to unclog it, it has to be "cleaned out" every once in a while depending on the size, there are just so many issues. When they built their new house they ripped it out and went to a lagoon.

If you found a house you REALLY liked and it had one I would ask for all records (or knowledge) of how often they've had to have it cleaned out or treated. If they had it done more then once a year I'd run away.

I don't know anything about well water but I'd stay away from a septic system.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

From everything, EVERYTHING I've ever heard - stay away from septic. I'd only do it if there were NO OTHER options. Home ownership is enough of a maintenance PITA (even with new homes). That just adds one huge (disgusting) hassle.

Comment

I grew up w/ both...don't do it! Stick w/ municipal waterworks.

Comment

I grew up with septic, and I remember my dad unclogging it - not a fun image. Their county gave them a stipend to have a lagoon put in. It depends on the type of soil in your area, but your county may prefer lagoons, too. If you find a house you love, call the county for info about switching to a lagoon. We've lived with well water and a lagoon for four years now and have never had any trouble with it. Lagoons are not stinky or messy. They are ecologically safe. But it just depends on your area.

Comment

There is no way I would do septic. We do have a well though, for just our irrigation system. Our inside water is city water, and I love that set up beause we are never under watering restrictions, and our water bills are dramatically lower than everyone else's in the summer. I would never in a million years get a septic system. Ewww. No way.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We've had both growing up. I'm with everyone else - stay away from septic. If you have no choice, make sure that codes won't change requiring a holding tank (this just happened to my parents). While that might not require you to upgrade to live there, it would to sell the property, adding a major expense.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Newer septic systems don't have the problems that older ones do. The key is "HAS IT BEEN MAINTAINED".

If you fall in love with a house w/ septic, don't rule it out until you've seen the maintenance records. My parents have a septic system and it's fine. BUT my mom was talking to her neighbor (lived there for forever kind of person) and they were complaining about all the 'new' rules and how they've 'never' had to have the septic cleaned out. Which means that it's seeping out somewhere. (which explains why the Chesapeake Bay is in the condition it is)

Jenn

ETA: well water can be a problem also - especially with kids. You have to make sure they get enough flouride if you're on non-floridated water.

Comment

I guess we'll keep looking for THE house and hope it's not septic. The problem is that good school districts have about 90% septic and well. I'm only worried about school districts in terms of resale value. But wouldn't public sewage and water offset that?

Can I keep renting forever?

Comment

Tara is right.

Comment

Ditto that. I don't know much about septic but I'm pretty sure schools trump that. People will up with, ahem, all kinds of $hit to have their kids in good schools.

Comment

That's really strange Lily! I've never lived in a place that did that. It seems like the school district lines are set in stone in many districts. I'm always hoping that they will change....but nyet. Where we lived in Brookline, MA, housing values fell from 875 K for a city home in Brookline to 450 K for the identical home next door (but in Brighton, MA) just across the school district line. I bet the guys in that house were praying nightly that some one would re-draw the lines!!!
                        Angie
                        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Schools can make a huge difference, but it isn't always paramount. Depending on how high-end you are talking, a lot of parents put their kids into private schools, regardless of the school district they live in.

For me, I would never buy a house with septic. :huh:
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                            I would find out how often they shift the school districts before really worrying about that. In the 7 years we owned our house in NC, we were in three different school districts. They changed district lines like they were changing socks.
                            This has also happened to us. We've lived in this house 4 years and we're already in our 2nd district, in the next year we'll be in our 3rd. So find out how often they change, if at all before you bank on a school district.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                              All I know about septic is that you can't flush anything but toilet paper.
                              Ummm.... what else would you flush?
                              As you can tell, I grew up with septic and also have great memories of my Dad covered in s***. Of course, a dawkter could pay someone to do the dirty work.

If you end up with well water get it tested before you drink it. Through my work I have seen many cases of people basically drinking their own waste because of poorly located wells or poorly maintained septic systems. They don't get sick because they are used to it. Gross.

Comment

Working...
                              X