Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Adios, shrimp tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adios, shrimp tail

A few weeks ago I came home and found the basement toilet and vanity in the backyard. Looks like DH decided to remodel the basement! We are doing most of the work ourselves and having professionals lay some tile and carpet (carpet is in the next month or two).

The previous color of the basement was just hideous. The photo doesn't capture the true mango-ness of it. I'm sure this color would work somewhere but definitely not in the basement in a climate with dark winters (and poorly applied at that). Knobs on the cabinets have been replaced and butcher block counters (from Ikea!) replace the formica.

Before:

After paint:

Guest room, again this color would work somewhere other than this room. (Photo taken post drywall repair).

With paint:

I think we might have over-compensated for making it more neutral so we will have to brighten it up with furniture.

Re: Adios, shrimp tail

But tell me he saved the toilet seat with the FREE TIBET sticker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Great improvement, Nellie!
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

very nice, nellie
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Looks great, I really need to do some painting in my house...
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Big improvement!

I love the new countertop!
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I really like the countertop too. Even after my Ikea hissy-fit. I think it helps to warm up the room and is an improvement over the gray which made things feel sterile. We also have some wood on the stairs. DH pulled up some of the carpet and we have Douglas Fir stair treads! I was expecting plywood. They aren't in perfect shape but a few inches on both edges look good. We are going to put a carpet runner in instead of carpeting the whole stair to keep some of the wood showing.

I can't wait for carpet. It is so gross down there. When we moved in I had the carpets cleaned. The cleaner actually came back and told me I should just replace the carpet and save my money on cleaning them. Since I knew it would be a year or so until we replaced it I had him go ahead and clean.

I forgot to take photos of the black marks on the ceiling from the in-house lacrosse games.

The toilet is gone, Jenn. Sorry. We are replacing it to have a 1.6 gal/flush toilet in there. We have now replaced all the toilets and went all out for the main floor with the dual flush. This is how dawkter's wives throw around their money.

We also painted the fireplace. In the before photo it is primed white (it was the unpainted brick before). Here it is painted:

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                We started painting our master bedroom yesterday - the last room in the house that we haven't painted (other than the unfinished basement) and I'm so excited to have a master bedroom that finally feels sort of put together!
                It makes such a difference, doesn't it? Now that we have our bedroom painted and put together, I love being in there and it feels like a retreat. (I know, I've been watching too much HGTV but that is the best way to describe it!).

Comment

So sad about the toilet. Well, please tell your dh that I'd appreciate it if all of the work is complete before I come to visit. I'd hate to have to stay in the middle of a work zone.

I love the brick & the counter tops. It's amazing all the stuff you've done to that place in the < year that you've been there!

Comment

Great job! Your hard work is paying off.
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

The bathroom is almost done! We need to find a mirror. I am loathe to go to Ikea again so I'm going to try Target first. The shower doors are kind of bleh so I think I will put up a shower curtain in front to hide it.

My photos are looking grainy. I need to figure out what is up with the camera. The dual-flusher upstairs is not installed. It is a booger to put in and we have to call a plumber.

Before (the first day the house was on the market):

After:

Comment

what did you do with the sticker?
                        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Looks awesome! Great changes!
                          Jen
                          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
                            what did you do with the sticker?
                            They took it off before we moved in! WTH -- they don't take it off before showing the house? She got that but not the framed photos hanging on the opposite wall (not to mention a bunch of other stuff ).

Comment

Nellie, you & your DH impress me!
                              DH's thing has turned out to be the gardening and landscaping...I could never see him DIY-ing on anything to do w/ the inside of the house
                              Can I hire you as a consultant when it comes to picking paint colors??

Comment

Working...
                              X