Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Window Blinds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Blinds?

Ok all you decorating experts this dawkter's wife needs some help. We just had our windows replaced and wood wrapped (or cased). I still need to paint the new window trim. Anyway, I am in desperate need of blinds, especially in our bedroom, uhh I am tired of giving the neighborhood a show.

We had cheap-o plastic blinds that my two year broke, pretty much 5 of the 8 on the top floor. Needless to say, I am willing to pay for quality. I am thinking about Hunter Douglas, and I have gotten a catalog from Smith + Noble. Utterly confused as to what to buy. Next question- do I buy white blinds to match the white trim or do I do wood stained blinds?

I just ordered a framed sleigh bed from Restoration Hardware, that is dark cherry. I know that will play into what I should get. :huh:

:anyolne:

Oh I am as clueless with decorating as I am with fashion. Good thing there is no dawkter's wife test, or I would flunked.
    Gas, and 4 kids

Re: Window Blinds?

It sounds like your highest priority is getting the windows covered. We didn't go this route but I wish we did -- check out blinds through Costco. I'm pretty sure they offer Hunter Douglas through their "design service" and those are really good blinds and shades. You can request info online:
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgro ... opnav=&s=1

I think we compared the Smith and Noble with the Hunter Douglas but the pricing and choices got overwhelming and...I probably didn't do a very good job comparing the two. We did have one Smith and Noble blind in a previous house and it was nice. We got Hunter Douglas blinds (Duette honeycomb and roman shades) and I'm kicking myself for not going through Costco because I know we paid more.

After you get the windows covered, you can go back and do something fancier if you want, like a drape. My neighbor found a great seamstress who also has a good eye for picking out fabric and she had drapes made for a pretty reasonable price. That might be an option once you have bedding (if you don't yet) and the bed.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
      It sounds like your highest priority is getting the windows covered. We didn't go this route but I wish we did -- check out blinds through Costco. I'm pretty sure they offer Hunter Douglas through their "design service" and those are really good blinds and shades. You can request info online:
      http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgro ... opnav=&s=1

I think we compared the Smith and Noble with the Hunter Douglas but the pricing and choices got overwhelming and...I probably didn't do a very good job comparing the two. We did have one Smith and Noble blind in a previous house and it was nice. We got Hunter Douglas blinds (Duette honeycomb and roman shades) and I'm kicking myself for not going through Costco because I know we paid more.

After you get the windows covered, you can go back and do something fancier if you want, like a drape. My neighbor found a great seamstress who also has a good eye for picking out fabric and she had drapes made for a pretty reasonable price. That might be an option once you have bedding (if you don't yet) and the bed.

Have fun!
      I am going to be at Costco tomorrow and they have a kiosk that I want to check out, and I remember seeing the Hunter Douglas logo. It will be interesting to see the price difference. My first priority is getting the windows covered. It's always lovely when I walk out of the bathroom after a shower without remembering the fact that there is no window coverings. :horror:
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

We are getting carpet for the basement through Costco. I was happy with the carpet and price and know it is at least a dollar or two less per square foot than what someone else paid for similar carpet.

Let me know what you think of the blinds quote -- or maybe I don't want to know!

I hear you about the shades or lack of. We had some shades on these windows and then replaced the windows. With new windows and no shades I was putting on the same show. The not-so-great blind person we got the shades from took waaaaay too long to order and install them. It was a pain. You can by temporary shades from Home Depot for $5 or so but they don't pull up and down, you have to use a clip.

Comment

I've used Smith and Noble and I LOVED them. Take advantage of the free samples.

My house has wood blinds with the wood trim and white shutters with the white trim. I don't know if I would have done it like that but it works and it's done so it's staying like that for a while.

What you don't want to end up with is something that will require painting in the future!

Jenn

Comment

My dad used to work for Hunter Douglas and they are definitely quality blinds. I like the look of wood blinds a lot....but in white because that's my decorating style. Of course, my dad would be remiss if I didn't also throw a plug in for shutters! If you have any long width windows, his company makes steel reinforced wood blinds (also great for areas with high humidity where wood can warp)....I don't know if there is a branch/salesman in your area.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I'm sure you got the same catalog but today I got one from Smith + Noble with a sale -- not sure which blinds that covers.

Comment

I saw the Fall Preview Catalog, but I don't think it covers the blinds that I am looking at. Dh went by Costco last week on his way home from work, he said all he saw was a brochure with a number to call. So I am onto that step- call and set up an in home consultation.

Hunter Douglas has cordless blinds which I think would be great for the areas the kids would be in- living area, breakfast nook, family room. After staying in a condo a couple of weeks ago for our 10 yr wed anniversary that had HD blinds, I really liked them.

So I am still on the hunt.
                Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

We have the Hunter Douglas no cord blinds (honeycomb, Duette or Applause?). I love that part. They are really easy to open from the bottom or top (nice in a bathroom). Our Costco carpet lady also does the blinds and told us she can get that type.

Comment

I met with the Blind Design Service from Costco today. WOW! I was really impressed.

Nellie, you will have a heart attack- by going through Costco to order Hunter Douglas Window Coverings or Blinds, you save 40-43% per window.

We are splitting up the cost over several purchases instead of having to bite it all at once, as we have 24 windows and a door to cover. The upstairs is the first that we are doing, and we chose the Duette Architella Shades for upstairs with the LiteRise (cordless option for kiddie safety reasons) for all the rooms, and upgraded to have blackout in the bedrooms (there is a special mylar lining that keeps light for coming in). They are guaranteed not to yellow, fade, or stain. I am really excited about the dark option, and so is dh so he can nap during the day post call if needed. In the bedrooms I chose Truffle, and in the laundry room did Day White. The neat thing is they are white on the exterior face- so people on the outside of the house see white, and then the truffle color is on the interior.

On the main floor we chose to do 2 1/2 inch Everwood in Rustic Nutmeg for the Family area, music room and living room. In the breakfast nook and kitchen window we are doing 2 1/2 Everwood Porcelain. We chose the Everwood because our house is east-west facing, and gets a ton of sun which is not good for natural wood.

Another plus- they should be here in 10 business days, compared to the 6 weeks quoted elsewhere.

Dh is going to do the install himself which will save us ~$500.

ETA: We are also Costco Executive Members so we earn 2% back on our Costco purchases, and an additional 2% because we have a Costco AMEX.
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Uh yeah, heart attack is about right. Not only did we pay that much more but the guy we bought them from was a jerk. He cashed our check the next day but didn't order the blinds for 10 days.

*deep breath* At least I know for next time. I'm so glad that worked out for you! :wee: We have the light-rise feature as well and it is so nice to not mess with cords.

We had our basement carpet from Costco installed yesterday. I LOVE it. I didn't do direct comparisons but based it off of what two friends paid recently for similar carpet. I think it was a similar savings of around 40%. We got a wool blend and two sets of stair runners. They cut the carpet for the runners yesterday and took them back to be bound then will install next week. Runners are freakin' expensive but this was at least less money than other places. They also upgrade to a nicer carpet pad.

My Costco membership has definitely paid off!

Comment

We've had a lot of luck with our local JCPennys. Ask them when the sales are. I don't buy anything from them unless it's a 65% - 75% off the retail price sale. My salesperson calls me with the dates and we've done things gradually.

We have chocolate wooden blinds with white trim in our master bedroom and it looks good -- I'll have drapes or decorative curtains in addition to the blinds eventually.

The kids have Kirsch black out shades (they are awesome).

I have privacy blinds or roman shades in the bathrooms (natural light gets in but nobody can peek on you).

So that's our story.
                        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Good thing there is no dawkter's wife test, or I would flunked.
                          No advice, but had to laugh at this! My excuse is that I didn't know he was going to be a dawkter when we decided to get married.

:nothing: I hope your window treatments work out well for you.

Comment

Just a little update....

The blinds are all in! We have had a couple of minor snags- 1) removeable fabric band (sits at the top of the blind) was mismatched on 2 shades in the laundry room: Hunter Douglas sending out a replacement, even though the blinds have been in for 2 months now, and I just noticed it. 2) 2 blinds were a smidge too big for windows at the top of the stairs, and there was a tear in the fabric on the handle- Hunter Douglas is sending out a newly cut and made shade for the ripped one, and cutting down the other shade- no charge. 3) We had a blind arrived inoperable, one of the Architella Lite Rise, Hunter Douglas replaced it no questions asked. They look awesome, and will hopefully get some pictures soon.
                            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Your avatar is hilarious!

Comment

Working...
                              X