Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

fall party ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fall party ideas?

DH has been wanting to have a party here (with other fellows, or some of the residents, neighbors... not sure yet). I figured an early October "Fall Fest" would be fun.

Has anyone else done this/plan to do this, or just have ideas? Hostessing isn't my strongest point!

Here's what I've thought of so far:

- paintball
    - pumpkin carving for kids & the preggers
    - small bonfire for roasting marshmallows
    - fry a turkey in the outdoor fryer
    - mulled apple cider (recipes?)
    - roasted stuffed apples?
    - mashed potato casserole (baked, with a little spinach in it - easy to assemble ahead )
    - ask others to bring desserts/appetizers/sides
    - foosball table
    - leaf or gourd decorations?

ANY ideas would be welcome! Recipes, decorations, activities, pumpkin carving tips, etc. I'm totally brainstorming at this point.

(ETA - this will probably be an all-afternoon & evening shindig, since it will take most people an hour to get out to our place.)

TIA!

Re: fall party ideas?

We're having an end of summer party here the last weekend of September but it'll still be hot. I'm having a margarita machine and BBQ.

I'm no help. We don't get a fall here.

Jenn

Comment

Deb just a thought , but if you do the Turkey thing, why not just get a bunch of turkey legs and go that route. You could do carmel apples, roasted corn on the cob, roasted chestnuts...kind of like fall carnival foods?!! :huh:

Good luck!

Comment

We are the Halloween party people. We didn't have one last year but we had one two years ago and we'll have another one this year. I do a pumpkin roll, a brain shaped cheese ball, apple cider and lots of other things. The mulling spices that oceanchild mentioned are fabulous.

Sounds like a great time!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! I'm writing all this down & will look up recipes. Wishing I had two ovens...

Comment

I have a couple ideas from a fall party I had last year...

A hot cocoa bar for kids- have the hot cocoa made and sitting there with a variety of stuff to put in, marshmellows, whip cream, chocolate sprinkles, swizzle sticks, bisocotti, etc

Fig Martinis- very fall, very yummy

Candle Carver- for decorations, there is this tool called the candle carver. You can take any squash, pumpkin etc and cut a votive size hole out for a candle. Great for centerpiece.

Pumpkin Cupcakes- use a pumpkin in the recipe, and ice orange with a green gum drop on top....great for kids and adults

Caramel covered apples-
            http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/ca ... 55497.aspx
            Roll in sprinkles for kids, or do more adult versions with coconut and nuts

Spooky glove snack mix- kids would like this...kind of halloweenish
            http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/sp ... 62222.aspx

One last thing kids would like- Scary punch. My mom made this for me when I was young and I have never forgot it. So simple and each but so cute! Take surgical gloves (I am sure you can find a resource for those!) clean them. Fill 2-4 with green kool aid, tie off and freeze. Fill large punch bowl gingerail. Cut away gloves from kool aid hands right before placing in punch bowl. Kids will love the creepy green hands in the punch!

I love entertaining....I can get a little over the top, but I hope some of these ideas may help.

Comment

I just remembered one year DH made "monster potion" for a Halloween party we had. In a large punch bowl you put lime (or orange) sherbert, Sprite, and then add dry ice for a smoke effect. He'd add gummy worms along the rim of the bowl and whatever else you can find that would be interesting to add to the creepiness factor (ie peeled grapes to give the illusion of eyeballs).

ETA: DH also had a bunch of kids games he did and if you're interested in those, shoot me a PM or call me and I'll get them from him.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                Is this indoors or outdoors primarily?

I would 86 the paintball. Messy, possibly dangerous. You don't want to mix that with booze and/or OPKs (Other People's Kids).

What sort of feel do you want - outdoorsy rustic with a firepit or classy/dress-up with maybe candles or lights hanging from trees?
                Both indoors & outdoors. We have a large, empty tile-floor room that leads easily to an outdoor wooded area.

I think paintball is out at this point, which will make it more of an evening party - so a little more formal & indoor, but not dress-up. Candles & lights hanging from trees are a great idea!

DH & I are a little divided about the bonfire idea. I want roasted marshmallows & smores, but there's a little bit of a fire concern (a very small fire should be fine), and then there's always the smoke smell on people's clothes when they go home.

Any ideas for smores/roasted marshmallows without the open fire? Aren't there outdoor ovens or something that would work for this?

Comment

Working...
                X