Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Does your sense of style differ from your spouse's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your sense of style differ from your spouse's

Flynn's post got me thinking about this...

We're not in the market for a new home, and I think if dh and I were to build our own, we'd kill each other before the end of it. I like modern architecture and design. I would love to have a "Barcelona" chair and ottoman, and a Le Corbusier chair in a future living room, but dh thinks they both look and are uncomfortable.

For furnishings, I gravitate towards Crate and Barrel and CB2, and he towards Pottery Barn. I don't like that rustic style at all. Of course, we've got a hodge podge of stuff, but I'd love to just chuck it all out and start all over again with some, yes, uncomfortable-looking things.

You?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: Does your sense of style differ from your spouse's

We are lucky in that we have almost identical tastes. It really saves our marriage a lot of grief in this area. There are plenty of other areas of frustration to choose from, but at least we like the same couches and paint colors.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Ours are very close, we both like the mission style/Frank Loyd Wright type houses and decor. I like a little more color and pop then he does but yes, we're very similar.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Our sense of style is MINE. DH doesn't really care - he'll pipe in once in awhile, but that's it. He acknowledges that his general sense of style was tainted by growing up in his parent's home.

Comment

I don't think DH or I have a highly developed sense of style, but we tend to agree on most things. We were talking about a color for the couch we hope to buy for the living room in our new house and said (at the same time) "brown". I think our style is characterized as "will it survive three boys".

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

DH & I do not have the same tastes!

He wants a log cabin, complete with antler chandeliers. I'd like an elegant/shabby chic cottage (not Victorian, and definitely not "cute" or country).

But we talk A LOT about house plans, and we know where our tastes meet:
            - vaulted ceilings
            - big bay windows
            - good solid oak furniture (Mission) and cabinets
            - tile floors, marble/granite showers & countertops
            - HUGE gardens with profuse flowers; vegetables and trees

And we compromise on a few other things, like I'm fine with a log cabin as long as we have smooth painted interior walls. And we each want one room where we can let our separate decorative tastes go wild.

Comment

As long as it's not English Cabbage Roses in shades of pinks, my husband truly doesn't care.

We do have very similar tastes in art though- which makes it easy when confronted with something either of us 'has to have'. He brought back a cool little painting from Honduras that I really like.

and one time there was a photographer selling his prints in one of the local watering holes- my beloved went in and picked out two pictures and then I went in and picked out my top two- and of the 100 or so images, we picked the exact same ones! We bought them and framed them and now are trying to figure out the perfect spots for them.

Jenn

Comment

When it comes to art and decorating we don't have the same taste but can often agree on stuff. when it comes to houses we are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. I want old and homey and he wants new and spacious. Hence driving each other crazy for the past 4 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                  Our sense of style is MINE. DH doesn't really care - he'll pipe in once in awhile, but that's it. He acknowledges that his general sense of style was tainted by growing up in his parent's home.
                  Same here!

Comment

We are complete opposites. DH likes a very contemporary but comfortable whereas I LOVE old homes either from the arts and crafts period or victorians. Thank goodness we will be buying on the cheap for our first home and won't have a lot of options to choose from.
                    Kris

Comment

So far we have not had the chance to find out really. We have always rented so have not been able to decorate, and our furniture has been whatever we could find for cheap. We like the same kind of houses though, old Victorians, so hopefully agree when we finally can get our own.

Comment

We tend to agree, but disagree on one point. I am more willing to pay more for quality than dh is. Case in point- a chair that we recently purchased for our music room. I sacrificed quality for the price, I went with cheaper chair as dh really didn't like the one I was in love with. I like the chair we picked out just not as much as the other, but it will work. I picked out paint, and I think it will work when it's all pulled together. Dh did want to get a big poofy recliner that would have eaten up the entire room, I had to say "Nope! Using the female veto. That thing can be your office chair, but not in the music room."

Anyway, we have similar tastes, just disagree on price point, and more times than not I can convince dh see the light, that being that my choice is waaaaay better.
                        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

We have pretty similar taste - simple, not a lot of clutter. I usually ask his opinion, but if he doesn't seem very interested, I'll go ahead and do it my way. He's much more interested in picking out holiday decorations. It'll be interesting to see what he does for Christmas this year, since it's our first year in a house. I think he's planning to go a little Griswold on me...
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

My MD BF just doesn't care - or at least that is what he says when I ask him oppinion about something. He says, "you care more about that kind of stuff than I do." But I will say he is sort of 'old school.' He would have the light wood for every piece of furniture and it would be more of ski lodge than anything. He is not much on spending a lot of money (because we don't have it perhaps!) so our apartment is really a hodge-podge. Sometimes I feel like I am living in a bachelor pad...but then I put up some stuff to make it more my style...because I HAVE a style. He really doesn't understand when I tell him we can't a chair in the middle of the room because it is not good design. Not a clue.

Comment

DH doesn't really care much....I fear for our relationship when house hunting though

He likes big old dark furniture (and yes, walls...shudder) and I like new and bright and spacious...and no clutter (hard to do living in a house of males) we shall see! A big joke is that we have never really had a "fight" I seriously suspect the house buying may accompish that

Comment

Working...
                              X