Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

winter stuff organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter stuff organization

I need some tips for organizing our winter clothes. It seems like there are random mittens all over the house and I cant find anything that matches when I need it. We have a dedicated closet for winter outerwear, but right now it is about 3 feet deep with jackets, fleeces, hats, scarves, etc. It is driving me crazy.
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: winter stuff organization

I'm running into the same problem, and have given it some half-hearted thought. (I'm laughing because I've lived here for most of my life and have yet to figure this out.) For us it's just the kids' stuff that needs organization, I was thinking about throwing it all into a basket so at least it's contained and in the same spot each time.

Have you tried clips to keep the mittens together? That's all I've got.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I saw a neat trick recently regarding the boot tray -- buy an inexpensive cookie tray and cooling rack at the dollar store. Put the cooling rack inside the cookie tray and voila, you've goot a boot tray.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We hung a back of the door pocket shoe organizer on the wall next to our back door. We just have the plastic kind since this area is really a mud room....nothing fancy. Each pocket is stuffed with mittens, hats, etc. The pockets are clear so you can see everything. There are 25 or more of them, so there is plenty of space. In the off season, we just remove the whole thing and hang it on the wall in the basement. It has been a great solution to our winter clutter. If you have a place for one I highly recommend this.

Boot trays are beneath. No solution to shoe clutter. They end up everywhere in this house.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I never thought of using the shoe organizer. I use mine in the summer to organize bug spray, sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, etc. Guess now I have a winter purpose, too! Keep the ideas coming. My house is currently a mess while I de-germ and "organize" half the rooms in it.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I am going to buy the shoe organizer for sure. That is a great tip.
            Mom to three wild women.

Comment

When I was little, the trick all the moms used was to attach a long elastic band to each mitten and to thread it through the coat sleeves. That way the mittens stay with the coat about 98% of the time and it's hard to lose just one.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                Roger that on the cookie tray/boot tray but honestly they're so cheap here (boot trays) that I wouldn't buy something different.
                Hey, what do I know. I just moved to Ohio after living in FLORIDA for 30+ years. I'd never even heard of a boot tray when I read that article. How much to they cost anyway? Do I need one?

Comment

ahhhh, I wore shorts today.

j.

Comment

Amen. I mean sure, we have two weeks of kind of close to freezing temps. but mittens? I keep them at my moms.

Come on down people. I'll turn on the hot tub and we can luxuriate in the 'winter'.

Jenn

Comment

I got plastic boot trays at our local hardware store for around 6 dollars. :huh: They aren't fancy. Black plastic, no "drainage" - they just contain the muck off your floor and tell people to put their shoes in this spot. It's functional. They also sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond. They are seasonal. You can get them now, but they will probably disappear further in to the winter season.

You can buy fancy ones on line if you are putting them in the front hall or something. I bought a few copper ones to put plants in on a window seat for the winter. (They work as humidity trays for our very dry winter house!) I'm not sure I'd lay out 30 bucks a tray to stick muddy boots in them on the front porch or in the mudroom. If I had a nice foyer I might make the investment.

I moved north from Florida when I went to college. Snow can be an adjustment! Driving on ice.... this "wool" stuff they make in to sweaters ....

It's a process. If you are in the snow belt area in Cleveland, brace yourself. I was impressed with our snowfall the first year - and we'd relocated from Boston!
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                        I moved north from Florida when I went to college. Snow can be an adjustment! Driving on ice.... this "wool" stuff they make in to sweaters ....

It's a process. If you are in the snow belt area in Cleveland, brace yourself. I was impressed with our snowfall the first year - and we'd relocated from Boston!
                        Yikes, I'm so clueless. I mean, you actually had to explain boot trays to me!

The driving on ice is particularlly frightening for me. When we discussed moving, DrK promised that he'd "buy me lots of pretty things, like snow boots and a winter driving course." He made good on the snow boots but I'm still waiting on the driving lessons. He says that he'll come get me if I'm afraid to drive but we all know that I could be waiting a loooooooooong time for an intern to come get me.

Comment

I don't know what it's like in Cleveland, but in Chicago, they salt the roads like crazy. If the streets have been groomed and salted, it's really not too bad!

Driving in places that don't get much snow is much worse because 1) drivers freak out who aren't used to snow, 2) the streets aren't plowed and salted. (Yes, I'm talking about you, Seattle.)
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

So, here in Cleveland we've had all these announcements that they aren't salting as much this year. :huh: Apparently, they had trouble getting a good price on salt and depleted the supplies last year with a late spring storm. They do over salt here. I imagine it will be fine, but I'm planning to be a little more careful while they figure out this "less salt" deal.

This, despite the fact that Lake Erie is atop a huge salt mine.
                            Angie

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                              Driving in places that don't get much snow is much worse because 1) drivers freak out who aren't used to snow, 2) the streets aren't plowed and salted. (Yes, I'm talking about you, Seattle.)
                              Yup. Because when it only snows once or maybe twice a year, it isn't WORTH having plows and salt trucks at the ready. Easier to just let the city shut down. The snow there is usually much wetter and ices up more and faster than it does here in Cleveland, too; even when they don't plow/salt right away here, it's not all that dangerous to drive on, unlike the PNW.

I'll be happy with less salt. Probably less rust damage to my poor car, that way.
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X