Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cable/Internet advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable/Internet advice needed

So we found a place in Boston and excited about the move but am realizing how much I am going to miss our free internet from the university. We have 2 cable/phone/internet providers to choose from. Verizon (w/o Fios...not available yet in our area) and Comcast. Do any of you have experience or advice about these companies? Comcast is more expensive but Verizon uses a Dish (which we have no experience with). We are also trying to decide if we should do the standard "triple play" and get a home phone since we now have a little guy. I think I feel safer knowing that there is a land line with a child in the house. Any thoughts would be much appreciated
    Danielle
    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

We won't get rid of our home phone for the same safety issue - I know we could but we both feel more comfortable having it. Does Verizon use Dish or Direct TV or is it their own dish? We have Dish Network and love it, their customer service was great when we were getting it set up and have never had issues with it.

We don't have Comcast as an option so I can't comment there.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
      We won't get rid of our home phone for the same safety issue - I know we could but we both feel more comfortable having it. Does Verizon use Dish or Direct TV or is it their own dish? We have Dish Network and love it, their customer service was great when we were getting it set up and have never had issues with it.

We don't have Comcast as an option so I can't comment there.
      It's actually Direct TV...maybe we will take a look at Dish Network separately as well.
      Danielle

Comment

We use Comcast and to be honest it has been a huge pain in the A**. We have had a technician here at the apt no less than 5 times since June. Just a couple of days ago we were watching the Celtics playoffs and we lost service in triple OT!!!! It was a nightmare!!! (We called and they said there was a temporary outage in the area - WTH?!)

Comment

We just got off the phone with Dish Network and they seem really reasonable. We are going to find out if they will let us out of the contract if we find that the service doesn't work so well in our apartment...though I doubt it should be a problem.

As for Comcast...they are so expensive and based on the 2 reviews here...we think we are going to pass. They charge for everything...I am shocked.

Thanks for all the feedback...this is really helpful.
          Danielle

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
            Avoid Comcast, at least in CT, with every fiber of your being.
            Agreed, but I had the Dish network guys here, and they said I had too many trees to get satellite reception. So I had to stick with cable. I guess I could have cut down the trees.
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

OMG-

When we were in DC, I decided that when the Devil decided to branch out into the for profit arena, his first company was Comcast. Now, you'd think the devil would have a slick operation (and he does, just look at Wall Street, K Street and all of those big law firms) but since Comcast was his FIRST company, it's just run by evil people, but yet is incredibly inept.

Horrible. I'd rather have no TV than ever deal with Comcast again. Google Comcast and "Dear Bitch" and hopefully you'll find the story of the woman who, in her attempt to get her account corrected with them, essentially made calling Comcast her full time job. and yes, actually received a form letter from them with "Dear Bitch" as the heading. (she got a lot of money from Comcast, later)

Jenn

Comment

A big word of caution about the Verizon "bundle"...The programs are administered by separate companies, and billed by Verizon. Ohio has decided not to deregulate phone service until they are forced to, so we are stuck with Verizon. Our installation of phone took almost a month, and for satellite, it was two months. The biggest problem is that Verizon has no say over Direct TV's customer service, which I would call terrible, at best, yet they are the ones billing for the services. We finally ended up able to work with a VP at Verizon who literally stayed on the line with us anytime we had to deal with anyone from either company which became the only way we could get service. We have also had satellite loses several times when we really were upset (for instance, during the super bowl when we had a party of 50 here). On the flip side, it is cheaper, but I think you get what you pay for. We can't wait until we can de-regulate and switch everything to AT&T.
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious_D View Post
                  We just got off the phone with Dish Network and they seem really reasonable. We are going to find out if they will let us out of the contract if we find that the service doesn't work so well in our apartment...though I doubt it should be a problem.
                  The new hook with companies here is that you don't have to agree to a contract. I could switch monthly if I was enough of a masochist. You may want to ask about no contract at all.

Comment

We have Verizon for DSL and basic home phone. They've been mostly fine.

We have Comcast cable because that's what our building is wired for. We never had any major problems with it, but we also pay way too much money for it.

I sort of think all of these companies (and cell phone companies, for that matter) are obnoxious, and the best you can hope for is not having to deal with them much.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I haven't had huge issues with Comcast but there is no way I'd switch my home phone line to them. I don't want one more thing to call them about. The technicians that come out are always nice and helpful.

Comment

DF and I have always lived in Comcast Country, so we never really considered getting anything else. We have Comcast for internet and cable. There haven't been too many problems with them, they were a little slow in sending us the additional digital cable box we asked for. Occasionally the internet can be a tad slow, but everything is slow after you use a university's internet for several years.

You should probably ask me what I think of Comcast after we move in 4 weeks. DF has started investigating what it will take to stop and restart service. We have to give them back all of their cable/internet equipment when we move out and then we will be given "new" equipment at our new location. Isn't the equipment all the same? It's the same company, grrr.
                        Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Don't pick Comcast - especially not for a home phone.

I almost lost my sanity with them during one month about a year ago. I was spending hours on the phone with them to no avail.

They have really well-trained, sad customer service reps. It took everything in me not to excorciate them.

Nice, angry, you name it...problems never get resolved.

Comment

I am on the verge of just living with netflix and a cell phone...why are big companies so evil?
                            Danielle

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious_D View Post
                              I am on the verge of just living with netflix and a cell phone...why are big companies so evil?
                              Yup, that's what we've been doing for about 3 weeks now. So far, so good but I have a suspicion that DH is getting restless.

Comment

Working...
                              X