Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tipping service people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping service people

Now that we got an army of service people parading in and out of the house on practically daily basis, I'm wondering what I'm suppose to do about tipping. Never had this problem before as the super used to do everything and got tipped once a year on Christmas.

For the most part we use local reputable companies that I'm assuming pay a decent wage and benefits to their employees. Some of the guys take a meaningful pause after I sign the papers and say good bye and others disappear immediately. Does tipping depend on how long they stay and the nature of work they do? Do I just give everyone $5? How does this work?

I'm specifically asking about service people not delivery, so they are fixing/installing and are sometimes here for hours.

I've never tipped. They are paid for the service.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I also don't tip for things like that.

Comment

Bug guy, pool guy, landscaper guy, plumber..no tips!
        I do give my housekeeper a holiday bonus every year but that's it!

Comment

Regular service providers I don't tip. I will either leave a bonus or send more in my check at the end of the year for the biggies- cleaning lady and pool guy.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks for confirmation of no tip. I haven't tipped anyone yet but some of them have definitely gave me looks of expectation and lingered a bit in case I change my mind. I was a bit surprised by their reaction and wanted to double check as to what the proper thing to do is.

Comment

Vishenka -- a side question. How much did you tip your movers when you moved? We've got a one-bedroom apartment and no appliances will be transported. The heaviest thing is a bed. I think $20 per mover is high since it's not like we've got a whole house or anything.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Service people? You mean like folks you fix your A/C, plumbers, etc? I don't tip.

I tip our super, of course, at Christmas. Someone who provides personalized, day-to-day courtesies.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                  Vishenka -- a side question. How much did you tip your movers when you moved? We've got a one-bedroom apartment and no appliances will be transported. The heaviest thing is a bed. I think $20 per mover is high since it's not like we've got a whole house or anything.
                  We just moved and tipped our movers $100 when they packed the truck (for 4 guys) and $100 the next day when they delivered (for 2 guys) BUT they were really great movers. Nothing broken, no extra charges and really nice overall.

As for tips in general, we also had an awkward moment with some guys who delivered and installed a platform bed for us (our box spring didn't fit up the stairs so we had to buy a new one). It took them 15 minutes total and they missed one section of drawers too. I said thanks and he lingered for about 30 seconds....no tip for you!
                  Danielle
                  Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Alison, we also tipped our movers $100 (there were four of them). They had to get our stuff down three flights of stairs, so they deserved every penny and then some.

We have not been tipping people who delivered new appliances and furniture, and I'm starting to think maybe we should be...
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I've never tipped for any of that... Ever. I used to tip my newspaper delivery as part of my bill, until I got the request at Christmas for a tip and when I didn't tip, because I'd BEEN tipping all year, the paper started showing up torn up, etc., etc...

As far as A/C, Plumbers, etc., they get paid more per hr than DH. PuhLeez.

I'm wondering now if I should've tipped the delivery guys who brought our bedroom set up 1 flight of stairs. They didn't pause, didn't expect it, so... it didn't even occur to me.
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                        Alison, we also tipped our movers $100 (there were four of them). They had to get our stuff down three flights of stairs, so they deserved every penny and then some.

We have not been tipping people who delivered new appliances and furniture, and I'm starting to think maybe we should be...
                        I'd tip for heavy lifting.

We don't have any stairs that the movers will have to battle with, no appliances, and our unit is the closest one to the elevators... I don't know, $20 seems crrrrazy, but I don't want them peeing on our stuff once it's in the truck or something.

Comment

I can't remember what I tipped the movers. I think it was around $25 per mover but that was for the whole (small) house of stuff, no stairs at one house. (Minimal stairs at the other since most was stored in the garage while the floors were re-finished).

I tip for appliances and furniture IF they do a good job, don't bang into the trim, etc.

I tip the lawn couple and the housekeeper at the end of the year. No tips for furnace, plumber or that sort of thing.

Comment

Alison, I tipped $20 each (there were 3). The whole move took only a few hours and there weren't that many stairs or stuff. I don't think they were happy with the tip though, because I found some napkins and a coffee cup on the driveway after they left. Oh, well I'm not moving (and hence calling them) any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                              Alison, I tipped $20 each (there were 3). The whole move took only a few hours and there weren't that many stairs or stuff. I don't think they were happy with the tip though, because I found some napkins and a coffee cup on the driveway after they left. Oh, well I'm not moving (and hence calling them) any time soon.
                              Thanks -- obviously the movers will expect $20+, but they had better do a da@# good job. I truly don't like the fact that tipping is an expectation and not the result of a bang-up job (or not, in the case of trim!).

Comment

Working...
                              X