Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Termites (ugh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termites (ugh)

Apparently our house has termites. Not a lot of them, according to the pest control guy who just did an estimate, but still something not to be ignored.

Has anybody dealt with this? Terminix quoted $850 to treat it, which apparently involves drilling holes every foot or so and injecting pesticide. Does that sound like a standard rate?

So frustrating!
    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

We havent had termites, but we kept a termite contract. They put bait stations every few feet in a perimeter around the house and then checked them every few months. It wasnt too expensive but was good peace of mind.
    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

The last time we had the bug guys come to do the annual termite inspection, they found a few termites but they took care of it for free. I don't know if that's part of our contract with them or if home insurance takes care of it or what, or if maybe it was just so minor that they just didn't charge us. I'm sure I'd know the answer if they had charged us, but since they didn't charge us I didn't bother to ask them why .
      Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I'd do it b/c of what could happen if you don't do it. Living in South - it is almost a "have to" to have termite bonds. From what I understand (after having them twice) is if you have an old house - very common to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine View Post
          I'd do it b/c of what could happen if you don't do it. Living in South - it is almost a "have to" to have termite bonds. From what I understand (after having them twice) is if you have an old house - very common to have it.
          Ah, maybe this shows my ignorance of what constitutes a "southern thing." I figured everyone had to have an annual termite inspection. Our home insurance requires it -- they won't renew our coverage until they get the report from the annual inspection.
          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

So we found a local company that can do it for less than Terminix. They don't charge a yearly fee, but they also don't cover damage if the termites come back. Since termites are pretty uncommon here, I think I'm willing to take that gamble. We'd basically be paying Terminix for termite "insurance", I guess. This company will just re-treat if the termites come back.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland View Post
              We havent had termites, but we kept a termite contract. They put bait stations every few feet in a perimeter around the house and then checked them every few months. It wasnt too expensive but was good peace of mind.
              Yep, we do this too. Its the Sentricon system and keeps any problems under control. The problem with the one time treatment is that it usually has to be repeated more than once.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

All of the humidity and moisture in Mississippi, GA, AL, FL, LA makes us more prone to termites.

Comment

Julia, that sucks! Hope they're able to get them all in one shot.

Comment

Working...
                  X