Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Single Mug Coffee Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Mug Coffee Maker

I'm looking for a single mug coffee maker to put on my Christmas list. I don't want a Keurig, I want something that uses regular ground coffee and makes the coffee into a travel type mug.

DH uses a French press and I'm happy to drink that when we're both home but I want to be able to make ONE MUG/CUP for myself/day. We have a drip coffee maker but I don't want to make a full pot each day b/c I know I'd drink the whole thing and I don't want to get into that habit.

If you have one I'd love suggestions.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

My parents have the Keurig, and they have a "canister" that you can fill with your own grounds...
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

You can use regular coffee grounds in a Keurig--you can get a little basket thingy to use regular grounds. (Maybe you already know and considered that, I just thought I'd say.)

ETA: cross-posted
      Last edited by Auspicious; 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Yup - that's the one
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I know I've seen single-cup french presses, too, if you want to stick with that...
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

There's also this site:

http://www.coffeedetective.com/singl...e-brewers.html

(follow the link to the "other" single-cup brewer, too)
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I have the Keurig and sometimes use the basket and my own coffee.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I've seen the single french press in a to go mug at Starbucks. I bought one for a friend and he loves it. I prefer french press coffee but did not get one for myself because I like to add cream and sugar. To add these to the to go mug would make a mess - but I have not tried it. I also own a single serving french press that I got at TJ Maxx for $5 and has held up for a year now.
                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

So am I the only one who is more than happy drinking half a pot or more of folgers? Not that I would like better, but caffeine is caffeine.
                  Kris

Comment

Lily - was that the '03 blackout?
                    Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                      So am I the only one who is more than happy drinking half a pot or more of folgers? Not that I would like better, but caffeine is caffeine.
                      Why yes, there are different types of caffeines and coffees, and brews, and.....
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Nope, you're not alone. DH usually uses the toddy coffee system, but we both get lazy and don't want to grind a pound of beans to make the damn stuff, so it runs out....and then he uses Folgers *instant* coffee, and has no problem with it at all. I'm glad he's not at all picky about his coffee, saves us quite a bit of money.
                        Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                          I usually make 4 - 6 cups for myself. DH makes 8 for himself.
                          This is what I do. The 4-6 cups gives me two mugs of coffee, when dh is home we make the full pot of 12 cups.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                            Nope, you're not alone. DH usually uses the toddy coffee system, but we both get lazy and don't want to grind a pound of beans to make the damn stuff, so it runs out....and then he uses Folgers *instant* coffee, and has no problem with it at all. I'm glad he's not at all picky about his coffee, saves us quite a bit of money.

Okay Sandy - I did some google-fu and see that the toddy systems is a cold extraction. Is it really that much better?

Folgers yes. Instant NONONONONO.
                            Kris

Comment

Okay Sandy - I did some google-fu and see that the toddy systems is a cold extraction. Is it really that much better?

Folgers yes. Instant NONONONONO.
                              I don't drink coffee, and DH, as I explained, is the opposite of picky, so I don't really know first-hand. I've heard that it's less acidic, though...and a local small chain of coffee shops (Phoenix Coffee, for those who've lived in Cleveland) uses toddy-brewed coffee in a lot of their drinks, and they (and their customers) seem to like it.

The main benefit to us is the simplicity. As long as we've ground and brewed a pound of beans in the last couple weeks, there's concentrate in the fridge; he mixes it with water and microwaves it, rather than having to brew it every morning.
                              Last edited by poky; 10-23-2009, 06:01 AM.
                              Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X