Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

For all you cooks out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you cooks out there...

I am NOT a cook. I am getting much better however and I actually like cooking some recipes.

We've had our pans since we were married almost 11 years ago. They were a good set and have lasted a long time but they are "tired." We're going to replace them this holiday season.

If you could buy ANY pans and had an unlimited budged, what would you buy and why?
    Why did you choose the "finish" on the pans? I get a bit overwhelmed with the whole non-stick vs. stainless or copper debate.

What sizes would you make sure you had in your house for sure?
    Is there a slow cooker brand out there that is "the best?" We need a good one. The inexpensive ones are fine but they break and then we have to buy another one anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

...and sorry for all the spelling and grammar issues. My 1.5 year old pushed a few buttons and it "sent" before I was ready. Grr.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I would get a set of non-stick and a set of stainless. I would not get copper. Even though copper conduct heat really well and can be beautiful, they are a PITA to take care of. IMO, nonstick works really well for a variety of things like sauces, soups, quick and easy things, stirfry, etc., but if you really want to brown something or get a good sear on it, you need to use stainless.

I really love my inexpensive Kirkland brand nonsticks, but I would have to research more if I were going to buy more nonsticks with an unlimited budget. As far as stainless goes, my gut says All-Clad, but I haven't looked at pans in a while.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I agree with Heidi. I'd say a set of stainless and a few non-stick skillets. Cook's Illustrated has nice reviews of cookware. You could sign up for the 14 day free trial for website membership and read their reviews. The All-Clad stuff is very nice. I have one of their skillets and love it. I think the Tramontina brand is their best bargain set (for anyone else shopping). I have all stainless now and I don't think it is that much effort to clean and care for it. Copper conducts heat beautifully and is gorgeous to look at but *super* expensive and as Heidi says, more work to maintain. I don't have non-stick any more and use a cast iron skillet. I had non-stick stuff before and even though I was careful with it, it just didn't hold up. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on non-stick and would probably buy a few at Target or something like that. Cook's Illustrated has some reviews of those as well, non-stick and best bang for the buck.

Cookware sets:
        http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equi...sp?docid=19463

Cookware set a la carte:
        http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equi...sp?docid=19466

Nonstick skillet:
        http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equi...sp?docid=12957
        Last edited by cupcake; 11-22-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I would get All-Clad and then for any-type of dutch oven or cast iron things Le Creuset all the way. I buy some pieces on Amazon alot. Sometimes they have some on sale. We always try to get at least tri-ply. Boy are the heavy!
          Brandi
          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Unimited budget...hmmm. Definitely the All-Clad copper core. The copper does have the best heat conductivity (but agreed solid copper- PITA to take care of). I like the copper core over the All Clad stainless steel because the copper core have rounded lips on their pans where the stainless steel do not. Makes a difference when pouring sauces out of a pan.

I love my cast iron pans however at at least one Le Creuset dutch oven. One of my cast iron pans I picked up at a garage sale for $1. We had to sand and re-season it, but it is beautiful now. Currently - we have the Cook's Illustrated best bargain buy - Tramontina. They do not have the rounded lips, but we are still very happy with them. I think we found them at Wal-Mart...or Target? As for non-stick pans, it is helpful to have one non stick skillet (12in) but because they do have a shelf-life (as the nonstick comes off) of about a year if you use it regularly -- we've never spent more than $30 on one. However, you can use a cast iron skillet in place of a non stick in many cases - and extend the shelf life of your non stick. (The cast iron will last for generations if properly taken care of. Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I have the CIA brand of cookware. I don't think Sur La Table or W-S carries it, but I'm not sure. I really like it. It is similar to the All-Clad and there are a few things about it that I prefer and it was less expensive than the All-Clad stainless. The CIA has a copper core and rounded lip on the saute pans. ITA about the suggestion for a Dutch oven.
              Last edited by cupcake; 11-22-2009, 09:51 AM.

Comment

My current nonstick fry pan is from IKEA 365 and serving me well. It's the only nonstick I reach for regularly. (I have a nonstick wok as well but don't use that so much any more.)

My favorite saute pan and sauce pan are Cuisinart stainless steel. I also adore my big cast iron saute pan. I have an All Clad steel-lined copper sauce pan in a 2 cup size, and it's cute and I love it but the outside is permanently tarnished and mottled from a few trips through the dishwasher.

I think your decision will depend in part on what you cook and what kind of storage you have. We have tons of storage yet our pans still get stacked and digging through them is most annoying, so fewer more versatile ones would be better for me and I wouldn't be tempted to buy a set no matter how deep the discount from individual pieces. My favorite cookbooks have equipment advice at the beginning (Fannie Farmer Cookbook and The Art of Simple Food) so I'd be inclined to follow their suggestions -- that way I'd know I was equipped for the recipes I turn to time and again.
                Alison

Comment

I have the All-clad 6.5Qt programmable ceramic inset slow cooker. It was a gift from DH's MA & Sec. I love the programmable feature, because I don't have to stress about remembering to turn it down to low whether I'm home or not.

Comment

Stainless Steel--as everyone else mentioned, Copper is too hard to take care of, though ss with a copper core is nice.

This is a good article about the non-stick debate. I wont be registering for any for our wedding because while it's convenient, I burn stuff too often to use it safely

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/prod...e-safety-facts
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I have turned away from non-stick over the years as well- I use my non-stick pans for scrambled eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches and that's about it. I have ONE Calphalon non-stick that's a deep round sided (almost a flat bottomed wok but not quite) that I love the shape and size but the teflon has started to go so it'll be heading to the recycling bin soon.

My mother gave me her set of ScanPan and I have to say that I'm really impressed. They're lightweight (because they're titanium based), don't warp, conduct heat evenly and brown nicely. BUT, they have plastic handles which precludes using them for things that you cook on the stove top and finish under the broiler. PITA.

I have Calphalon non-stick and professional and they're nice because they do have the metal handles. I don't love them but they're likely to never wear out so...

I also have a cast iron griddle and a cast iron frying pan and they're both great. Unfortunately, they're not quite big enough to do everything that I need them to do but I do use them a lot.

My crock pot is the Rival programmable with two different inserts- one is a big 7 qt and the other is a divided 3.5 qt on each side (you could theoretically do something like rice on one side and the stew on the other, or we've done smaller batches of stuff like oatmeal on one side and you fill the other side with water.) I like it because I'm not stuck with just one size crockpot. The inserts are ceramic.

Jenn

Comment

I have the Calphalon TriPly Stainless and I love my pots. I have 1 non-stick omelet pan for eggs...I hate it. Yeah it's non-stick, but the coating is peeling off and I'm sure it's a health risk. My pots are easy to clean, conduct heat well and are attractive. I like the glass lids...yeah sometimes they fog and it's hard to see in, but overall I like being able to look in a pot.

As for sizes (I know you didn't ask but...) I use my 5qt saute pan the most. I couldn't live without it! I wish I had a 4.5qt sauce pan....but the rest of the pots are from a box set and work fine.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I agree with Alison about buy the pans you will need and use. I love having a Dutch oven but I use it often. The pans I use most are the Dutch oven, cast iron skillet, 12" skillet, 8" skillet, 1.5 quart saucepan, 3q saucier (saucepan with rounded bottom), and stockpot.

Michele, I have a 3 qt saute pan and I wish it was a quart or two bigger.

Comment

Let's see- in today's food prep I've used the 12 inch frying pan (non-stick ScanPan) for both the am pancakes and browning the chicken before I threw them in the crockpot), I used the 8 inch non-stick to make a grilled cheese for dude, I've used the stockpot- both inserts, one for dinner and the other is in use for oatmeal in the am.

I use my dutch oven a LOT. I'd say at least four times a week- mine's an Analon- nonstick but oven safe.

W/ a larger family I wouldn't bother with the smaller frying pans. I use my 3 qt. saucepan the most and need to get a bigger one- although I use the Dutch oven for anything bigger at this point.

Jenn

Comment

I've actually been reaching for my electric panini grill for sammiches and cheese-a-deeyas. Who knew small appliances could actually be handy, LOL! In that vein, Flynn, don't forget non-stovetop prep equipment. Do you need casseroles? Baking dishes? Gratin dishes? Bean pots? Roasting pans? A bundt pan to make that amazing pumpkin cake?

I didn't need a Dutch oven until recently but I've started getting into a little more braising and other recipes that do well being browned on the stove and finished in the oven, especially since I only have two small burners, so I'm lusting after one hardcore.
                              Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X