Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Composite Decks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite Decks

O.K. Tell me your thoughts on composite decking versus treated lumber. We thought we would go with a maintenance free trex deck until we started researching it on the internet where we found a ton of disgruntled customers. Please walk me through the decision as to whether to invest in composite wood materials or naturally treated lumber for our new home.
    TIA!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I have both right now- a falling apart wooden front porch that needs to be completely replaced AND steps made out of composite leading up to one side of the falling apart porch. I understand that there are different brands of composites out there besides Trex, too. My steps are great! they withstand everything and if the historic district would allow it I would have my front porch redone w/ that composite that fits together like regular floor boards. (but alas, no chance of that happening) I think my steps are at least five years old and they look perfect.

Jenn

Comment

We have a composite deck, although it's not the brand Trex. It's the brand Timber-something or other. We love it! Our deck faces due south and we have almost no shade in our backyard. We have never had any trouble with mildew/mold etc., which I think is one of the problems with composite decking. My FIL's composite deck was almost exclusively in the shade and he had mildew/mold or something grow on it. I think it is easily fixed, however, with a special deck wash for composite decking. My understanding is that composite decking requires a wash and scrub down once a year. We have not had to do that probably because we face the south and the deck is not covered.

We had a cedar deck in our old house and we just were not able to maintain it in a way to keep it looking nice. I love the low maintenance of the composite material. I also love how it feels walking on it- no splinters or nails popping up. We did the hidden fastner style, where you can't even see the srews.
      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Re: Composite Decks

We have trex and although it is only a year old, I love it. I would not have gotten a deck at all if composite hadn't been an option.....we had a wood deck at our last house and it was a pita to maintain.
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We love our Trex deck and the climate here really tests it. It's in great shape and we're on our fourth winter!
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Our house had a Trex deck when we first moved in and we were really unhappy with it; within a year it started to fade, spot, and warp. It was built 6 years ago, though, and Trex has made a lot of improvements since then as a result of several lawsuits. When DH rebuilt the deck, we put in Brazilian Ipe and we love it. We have had the Ipe for about 3 years and have only had to seal it once so far.

We're working on the plans for our next house and are still undecided about what material to use for the deck. I love the look of natural wood, but we're thinking of giving Trex another shot. For those with Trex, have you had any issues with the color fading?

Comment

Nope. We've had zero issues.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Trex, no problems.
                Needs

Comment

Given the choice, I would go with a composite deck. Our Cedar front and back decks are nothing but a headache. LOL You're only supposed to have to treat them every few years, but ... ugh ... we have had to do it every year. Maybe it's just the climate here...
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We have a big composite deck. It's almost a year and a half old now. The brand isn't Trex - can't remember the name of it. The only complaint I have so far is fading - and it doesn't fade all together - instead some planks fade and some don't. Otherwise we love it.
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                    X