Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Carpeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpeting

We want to replace the carpeting in the townhouse we are hoping to purchase. Its the original stuff, 25 years old. We are thinking of going to Lowes/Home Depot and having them install it.

Anyone have any opinions on their carpet, brands or lines that hold up well or to stay away from?
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

I don't know what brands HD/Lowe's carry but we put Shaw in our house a few years ago and love it!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I didn't know you were buying too! No advice on carpets, we're all hardwood floors.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
        I didn't know you were buying too! No advice on carpets, we're all hardwood floors.
        We weren't planning on it but were surprised with where we matched and were able to find something in our budget there.
        We're under contract for a townhouse... but I'm so wierd, I am hesistant to say we bought until we actually close... we're still working out agreements on the inspection....

Comment

We just got under contract yesterday and the inspection is tomorrow. I know the feeling. I'm still a little hesitant also. Especially with the loan stuff. Our mortgage broker doesn't understand that a resident contract is year to year, so we have to get a letter explaining that DH will be there for four years, but that it is renewable every year.

Comment

If you look around, sometimes you can find carpet remants on the super cheap.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Jeez...25 year old carpet? That's impressive. Or disgusting.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We have wood floors here, but I have seen nice carpet from lowes, and sometimes they do a free install right??
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Lowes/Home Depot both do entire house installation for $97. The carpet is pretty gross, which is why I am insisting it be replaced BEFORE we move in! We are hoping to recarpet the 2 bedrooms, loft and staircase... and then put hardwood in the living room and dining room (IF we can afford it).

There are just so many freakin' brands and types of carpet and I cannot seem to find any reviews online. Home Depot does carry Shaw, so I will just have to see if they have it in a neutral color.

Congrats on the house Chrisada!

Comment

Sometimes Lowe's will offer a free measurement of your space prior to installation (or at the very least, credit it towards the cost of your installation). Make sure you chat up the folks in the Installed Sales department at your local Lowe's - make sure to ask questions about the installer assigned to your job (and find out what their names/business name is and Google/BBB them)and they will be your go-to folks if you have any questions or problems (it is easiest to reach the folks, particularly the Installed Sales manager, in this department over the phone during regular business hours).

My memory as a former employee is a little rusty, but I'm 95% sure Lowe's carries Shaw. Not sure if it's stock carpet for them, you might have to put it on special order.

Have you checked out Consumer Reports for carpet ratings? The Lowe's website has some information about different types (not brands) of carpet: http://www.lowes.com/cd_Carpet+Buyin...rea5-_-18125_4.

Happy carpet hunting (and closing on your new place)!
                    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                    X