Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Foiled by Carpenter Ants!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're Baaaaaaack! Another swarm last evening. I guess that if I have to be surrounded by hundreds of insects, I should be relieved that they are in the bathtub and not in the kitchen or the baby's room. Still! I just got off the phone with the managment company. They say that they are waiting on an estimate from the exterminator and that they cannot do anything without the landlord's approval. I told them that I cannot continue having traumatic nightmares about these miserable bugs. I don't care what they do about erradicating the termites, repairing the house, etc. but they have to get them out of my bathroom NOW!
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Can you put down some of the ant bait for now? Home Depot or Lowe's (or evey target around here) has bait for sale. You can put the ant block around the outside foundation of the house, too. It will probably take a week or so, but it should cut down on ants. We haven't had carpentar yet, though. Just the regular ones. They are a PITA. We put the ant block down about 3 times a year, and that helps the most.

ETA: I love the tip about Baby Powder-- I'll have to try that!
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Peggy, they aren't ants. They are swarmer termites. The manager says they cannot do anything without the landlord's consent. Meanwhile, there are about 50+ termites in the bathtub right this minute.

Comment

OOOH- I see. So sorry! So does that mean it's not on you? Is the landlord having to handle it all?
          Peggy

Comment

The landlord has to handle it. On one hand, that's good because we don't have to be responsible for the expense. On the other hand, however, we don't have authority to do anything and we are living with these miserable bugs.

I harassed the management company and the exterminator all day yesterday. I'm now known as the-psycho-tenant-with-the-termites. However, the exterminator will be out here at 8AM on Friday to treat the house. In the meanwhile, I'm itchy all over and anxious every time I open the door to the master bath, praying that the pests don't make their way into the kitchen or nursery or our closet before Friday morning.

Comment

you'd think the landlord would want to take care of this problem ASAP anyway-- termites!!! yikes...

What does it mean for you guys? Do you have to leave the property for a while?
              Peggy

Comment

Nope. Just means that we have to live with the critters until the house is treated on Friday. Hopefully, they'll disappear after that. They don't tent or anything like that here.

Comment

Ohhh yuck! I hope it's all taken care of this week.
                  Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                  "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

So MrsK, are you termite free yet?
                    Kris

Comment

The exterminator was here on Friday. Haven't seen any yet. Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

Yay! I hope they stay gone!
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ewwww, I had the creepy crawlies for you, MrsK, just from reading this thread! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that the exterminator did their job and you won't be sharing your bathroom with any little visitors anymore.

We had the same bugs in our old apartment, having had two infestations at the same time each year in the SAME exact spot. Imagine coming out to your kitchen, half-awake in your pajamas, to find termites all over your kitchen wall, sink, floor, counters! The maintanence guys at the complex kept insisting they were flying ants, but the infestation was coming from an interior wall in our kitchen. Their fix was to clean up the dead bodies, spray in the hole they came out of and plug up said hole. I think the next tenants have probably already had an infestation by now (and the tub has already backed up approximately 3 times due to "roots growing into the plumbing").
                          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Mrs. K I have to say I am more concerned for your chest!
                            How are you...any lingering affects from the fall?

Comment

I was sore for a couple days but I'm fine now. But I wouldn't recommend you try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X