Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

House by a train station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House by a train station

So since we have my parents visiting right now, and there are extra people in our house, my parents are all about how we should move, etc., etc. We went to an open house this Sunday in a neighborhood I really like. It is a great house, and technically doable for us, but its not exactly a great time for us to move. We are thinking most likely DH will be stationed here after fellowship, so... Anyway, that's a house of cards right there. But, this house is near the commuter train stop. You can definitely hear the train whistle. It runs M-F in the mornings starting at 535 am, and the morning trains are every 15 minutes or so until about 7 I think. We can hear the trains from our house here-- we're about 1.5 miles away from the station.

Anyway, would you not consider a house near a train station?

Probably an entirely academic discussion, you know. We really like the house, it's very lovely. But... timing... Not the greatest.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

I've lived within a few hundred yards of a major train line in Norman for the past 2 years (well, at least until I graduated). The train would always have to blow the whistle as they went by too, because there was an intersection nearby. Eventually we just got used to it and the noise didn't bother us unless there was a door or window open. I'd say we had a train go by every 30-60 minutes. We hardly noticed it after awhile and it was actually comforting is a weird way.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

My first house growing up was close to train tracks and an intersection, but it didn't stop by our house. It really didn't bother me any. We lived right underneath an airport (Love Field) in Dallas, and you just get to the point where you ignore it.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Yeah, you eventually get to the point where NOT hearing the noise is weird. We're less than half a mile from a fire station and a church with a loud bell here, and the first summer, I heard the noises ALL THE TIME...and it doesn't even register, now.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

It would annoy the ever loving crap out of me, but only you really know what you can deal with. I know it would wake me up on mornings I really wanted/needed to sleep in, and that would really piss me off.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

House by a train station

It would bother me too. Right now where we live is super noisy. We have a bus line across the street that stops every 3 to 6 mins. We also have trucks, construction, ect and sometimes it's so loud I can't hear anything. We have gotten used to it & don't notice it all time but I can't wait to move away from the noise. I didn't think it would bother me much as it has.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I live sandwiched between train tracks and I don't hear them EVER. and there's a highway at the end of the street that I've grown accustomed to as well. The trains really only bother me if I can't sleep- then they seem to be right next to my bed.

Jenn

Comment

I think I would get used to the train noise. What would bother me would be the amount of commuter traffic. Check with the local polic department and see what the crime rate is.
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

The crime rate is really low. It's not a major commuter train stop- they don't even have a parking lot. It's just sort of a stop put in there for the neighborhood. The neighborhood is really super secluded. It's weird. Like a hamlet in the middle of suburbia. It feels like the Port Orchard area of the Puget Sound- kind of a sleepy area...

but anyway, I just do this to torture myself... The timing is just never right for us to move. When DH finished residency, the market was in a crazy panic... THat would have been the logical time to move. Sigh... Damn medicine.
                  Peggy

Comment

We had an el cheapo place that was right next to train tracks and on all sorts of flight paths to the airport. We got used to it, but I never really like it. The constant noise grated on my nerves.
                    Kris

Comment

The train wouldn't bother me as much as the whistle. We have some family who got a great deal on an amazing house near a train (you can see it pass the backyard) but they don't blow their whistles which makes a huge difference IMHO.
                      Danielle
                      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Everyone in that hood says they don't notice it. I have spent time there for soccer practices before (DD used to practice in the neighborhood field with her old team), and we'd be there for about 1.5 hr. If I noticed 1 train whistle that time that was a lot. And about 5 trains went through during the time... I'm a little unsure that I wouldn't notice a 530 am wake up whistle tho...
                        Peggy

Comment

It wouldn't bother me a bit but I would really worry about resale value.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Not in that area, you wouldn't worry about resale! the trains here are required to not blow their whistles in certain residential neighborhoods when there are those crossing bars and lights.

Peggy- is this the commuter station heading towards Barnesville or Germantown? Not the one in downtown G-burg, right?

Jenn

Comment

Not in that area, you wouldn't worry about resale! the trains here are required to not blow their whistles in certain residential neighborhoods when there are those crossing bars and lights.

Peggy- is this the commuter station heading towards Barnesville or Germantown? Not the one in downtown G-burg, right?

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X