Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Painting with kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting with kids

I think I'm finally ready to embark on this great adventure of putting COLOR on the walls. I'm starting small by putting an accent wall in Eddy's room: he is *desperate* to paint his room green, and has selected a brilliant leaf green from which he will not budge, but with the help of one of the online color visualizers, is OK with the other walls being white.

My questions are two. One is, what tasks can I assign him when I paint? I think I'll put Natalie on my back (and obviously will be choosing a low VOC product) but Eddy is particularly excited about using his own paintbrush -- I think it's a Bob the Builder thing. If I mask really well do you think he can work on edging along the trim or something? Or is this insane and I should hold off till I can get a mother's helper to corral them both while I work?

Two, where should I shop for paint? I'd rather buy local than shop Home Depot at this point, but they're an option. Other options though are the independently owned Ace Hardware I love (25 minutes away but right next to my favorite grocery store so I'm there every couple of weeks), the more mediocre Ace (15 minutes away), a stand alone Sherwin Williams store (20 minutes), and maybe a couple others. Benjamin Moore addicts weigh in?

Also, any tips on how to get started without too many glaring mistakes? I have a 1979 Sunset book on paint, wallpaper, and paneling that is hilarious and awesome that I plan to use for guidance.
    Alison

No edging - no way. No matter how well you tape, it still needs to be done with a very gentle touch, otherwise paint will seep under.

I've let my boys paint in the middle of the wall, under a built-in desk, or in the corners, where a lot of paint isn't a bad thing. Still, he'll only be able to do this for a few minutes -- and will need constant supervision lest the paint brush hit the floor, he decides he needs more paint, creates drips, etc. You really need to have someone to watch them for the bulk of the job.

Comment

OK, I'll try to figure something out. Thanks for the words of wisdom!
      Alison

Comment

Rollers are best for kids - in the middle. You could also give them a clean roller with some water if they just want to play with it. It cleans the walls (so it is kind of "prep") and it looks like you've applied something because the wall gets wet. Maybe that's only good with plaster walls - but I thought I'd through it out there.

Have fun!! I have pictures of my son at 2 painting with me in a diaper.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I forgot the 2nd part of your question. If you want to be able to shop local, Benjamin Moore might be your logical choice. It's usually carried by independent stores and/or decorating stores (at least around here).

I don't expect you'll have much trouble with the general painting. It's not something I ever researched - it's pretty straightforward. As for taping, I don't actually do it. Tape gives (me) a false sense of security, and I ended up with more problems than a steady hand and a good brush. You MUST buy good brushes (Purdy is a good brand) and good paint.

Comment

In order to help guide them, you could even create a large square and ask them to stay within those lines when they are painting in the middle of the wall and if there is tape, they can help slowly remove that at the end.
            Danielle
            Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
              One is, what tasks can I assign him when I paint?
              You can always have him "help" with the prep work. Washing and rinsing or spackling/sanding uneven parts of the walls, etc. As for the actual painting, unless you want it to look like a toddler did it, wait until they've both fallen asleep (or you have someone else around to watch them) and do it alone. Trust me on this.

As for the low VOC's, any latex acrylic paint is a low VOC. The ones that market themselves as such are actually SUPER low VOC's and are a waste of money unless someone in your home is deathly allergic. All paints have VOC's, water-based ones already have very low levels of them. I certainly wouldn't want my kids in the room if I was using an oil-based or lacquer based product, but the fumes from an interior latex wall paint are pretty harmless.

Two, where should I shop for paint?
              All paint companies make a few different grades of paints. So long as you get a latex acrylic with around 50% solids, you'll be fine. I would also recommend something with a little bit of a sheen for ease of cleaning. Not necessarily a semi-gloss, but a satin (sometimes called a velvet or an eggshell, too) works well. Whichever product you use, make it a point to avoid anything referred to as being "contractor grade". A contractor grade product is typically designed more to benefit the painter's bottom line than the longevity or durability of the coating.

...a stand alone Sherwin Williams store (20 minutes), and maybe a couple others. Benjamin Moore addicts weigh in?
              SW and BM both have excellent products. I would highly recommend visiting a stand-alone store such as SW. Their staff are typically far more knowledgeable about paint related issues than your average Ace Hardware or Home Depot personnel.

As for advice, um... DON'T use your 1979 book. So much has changed in the coatings industry since then and that I would be surprised if even half of that book was accurate.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I was a certified coatings, wallcovering, and window covering consultant in a former life.

Comment

Home Depot and Lowes have websites with alot of advice, DIY advice, etc. Also, DIY.com and HGTV.com
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks, you guys are awesome. I'm excited about this project! I feel like it's a good way to dip my toes into the overwhelming project of getting the whole house painted. Unfortunately, DH is...*very* skeptical about doing any painting at all. To the point of being a bit horrified when I mentioned going to the paint store for color cards. I think we'll have to talk it out a bit before I can proceed. In the meantime I'll keep researching! (It's...what I do. I overthink *everything*. But hey, at least I have fun doing it! )
                  Alison

Comment

Enjoy.

Relax, the worst that can happen is you don't like the color and you repaint. This just give you more practice..
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

My parents have used Home Depot's Behr paint for 15 years and love it--especially the new stuff with the primer mixed in. Though, you may not need that on white walls anyway
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Behr makes some excellent products.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                          My parents have used Home Depot's Behr paint for 15 years and love it--especially the new stuff with the primer mixed in. Though, you may not need that on white walls anyway
                          Paint with primer??? Where have I been? This makes my desire to paint our bathroom more realistic
                          Jen
                          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                          X