Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Carpet cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet cleaning

How often are you supposed to have it done? We have an off-white frize (sp?) carpet that we had installed in April '07. I had the heavy traffic areas, up stairs, living room and hallway done today by professional cleaners and HOLY CRAP it was DIRTY!

We were hanging out in the basement and they came down and got me when they had half of the living room done, the difference was AMAZING! The carpet looks brand new. We'll have the rest of it done (and this redone) before we put the house on the market in the spring but I'm curious.

How often are you supposed to have your carpets professionally cleaned? It seems it would definitely increase its life...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I try to do it annually for the highest traffic area (first floor, stairs), and every 18 months or so for the bedrooms/basement. I don't know if this is the actual recommendation, but it's what works in my comfort zone.

Comment

Well that would be my major problem then because its been 3 years! I figured a year for high traffic was probably recommended. Oops

Comment

To keep a carpet covered under warranty, it has to be cleaned once/year. We've never had ours cleaned that often. Both of my sisters just got new personal carpet cleaners and say they have come a long way. I'm thinking about investing in one myself.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

:hijack:

On a related note. . . I had our carpets steam cleaned a couple months ago. The other night the dog got sick and stained the carpet. Do you think I can have them come back and touch up? I really don't want to have the whole room cleaned again.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

That is what happens when I don't read warranties.

MrsK, I'm guessing they'd charge you for it - its not really a touch-up since its a new stain.

Comment

Another hijack... I'd love to have ours cleaned, but I'm not sure about the effort and cost. Do they move the furniture, or would I have to find somewhere to put it while they clean? About how much would a 3-bedroom house cost?
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I had Sears come. They did 4 rooms/areas for $99. I was surprised that the disruption was minimal. They worked around most of my furniture and moved what they had to move. Then they returned the furniture to their original spots with little foam blocks under the legs so the wood varnish wouldn't come off on the damp carpet. The carpet was clean and dry by the end of the day.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Nice! That's definitely do-able!
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ours would have moved the furniture but we only did one room so we just moved it ourselves. We'll have the whole house down (1800 sf) when we list it and then guy today said that would be about $300.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                      Ours would have moved the furniture but we only did one room so we just moved it ourselves. We'll have the whole house down (1800 sf) when we list it and then guy today said that would be about $300.
                      $300 for the whole house seems very reasonable to me.

We had a hoover steam cleaner and while it did help, I found that there was no way to get rid of all of the cleaning solution when using it. Finally I started using only water or a solution of water and vinegar.
                      Kris

Comment

FYI - stairs cost $$. I use an independent guy, and I think stairs are $2/ea?? When I add in the stairs up and stairs down to the basement, my total jumps big time. I usually end up spending about $250/$300 each time, and as I mentioned, I do the house in sections.

Comment

I love my Hoover steam cleaner but totally agree with this:
                          I found that there was no way to get rid of all of the cleaning solution when using it. Finally I started using only water or a solution of water and vinegar
                          Sometimes I spot treat an area with a spray and then use water only to get rid of it.

We just had our former home (square footage 1960) professionally done for $99. $300 sounds high to me but I'm cheap.
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly - was all of that 1960 carpet? $99 is WAY cheap!

Comment

Actually, now that I come to think of it, no. The first floor is all hardwood. It was 5 rooms and 3 half flights of steps. Sorry.
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X