Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Family Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Rules

I'm going to have one of these signs http://www.etsy.com/listing/51298859...hy-word-art-in made for our finished basement to break up the aforementioned huge wall. It will be 4' long by 2' high. I like most of the 'rules' listed on here, but want to personalize it a bit (ie - the 'say your prayers' is not applicable to my not religious family).

I'm looking funny, yet loving, family geared things.

Does anyone have a saying they love?

I love the no whining. I'd cover it with "no whining" in various fonts and sizes.
    -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
      I love the no whining. I'd cover it with "no whining" in various fonts and sizes.
      LOL! I've got "No Whining" in magnet form, too. WHINING with a circle & a line around it from long before the boys could read.

Comment

That's so cute! My fav saying is "live, love, laugh" -- I'd love to have that written down my hallway so everyone would pass it when they get up in the morning!
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I think I'd throw in something truly personal and offbeat. For example, my family has been a family of card players for generations. My kids are currently obsessed with bridge and it cracks me up to hear them say things like "never open with a three card suit" because they think everyone else has these rules in their head, too. I'd probably throw that in to my family board just to make it really "ours". That - or for the grammar crazed: "i before e except after c" or swimming pool owners: "no swimming for 30 minutes after you eat".

JMHO - but I run on irony and sarcasm.

It's a beautiful idea! I'm glad you found it.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Cute Angie.

"Hug your mom"
            -Ladybug

Comment

Thanks! I'm already going to have "No Choking" b/c it's the standing rule in our house, said every time anyone even sputters. I've been telling them since they were newborns, so if someone starts to choke even a little, we say "No choking. It's a rule here."

I'll PM you the other that I'm toying with.

Comment

I should have known you'd have the humor angle covered. All my favorite quotes are too wordy! I'll have to think if there are any short and sweet ones. I like "hug your mom". Always good advice.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Does anyone know that Lee Brice song "Love Like Crazy"...this made me think of that. The chorus:

"Be a best friend
                  Tell the truth
                  And overuse I love you.

Go to work
                  Do your best
                  Don't outsmart your common sense.

Never let your praying knees get lazy
                  And love like crazy."
                  Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Put the seat down when done
                    Danielle
                    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious_D View Post
                      Put the seat down when done
                      Since you and M are outnumbered I like this one!
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think our family rule growing up would be too long for this project, but it was that whoever cooks dinner doesn't have to help clean up the kitchen.
                        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Oceanchild: "Cooks don't clean" or 'Cooks don't do dishes"
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Those don't work for us with such young kids, but it did make me think of another "This is not a restaurant." ... it's under consideration.

I really only want to change a couple -- I love the idea of the sign, just want to make it personal for our family. DH is concerned about it being black. The frames I'm going to use for family photos (and kid's artwork) in the groupings on either side are black with white mats -- but the groupings will be equally spaced down the wall to the left and right of the sign. The wall is blue, http://www.restorationhardware.com/r...ump&navCount=2 (the darkest -- DUSK), and the other walls are beige http://www.restorationhardware.com/r...ump&navCount=4 (LATTE). I'm considering choosing the green the artist offers on etsy http://www.etsy.com/listing/51292553...raphy-word-art (the furniture down there is a dark brown leather sofa, and a beige recliner --- that will be gone as soon as I can justify it).

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                              Cute Angie.

"Hug your mom"
                              One of my law school classmates was a psychiatrist in his prior life. We used to all go to him for advise and he would always advise us to go home and "hug your mom." He was an international student and his mom was an ocean away. At graduation, my mom hugged him.

As for rules, there are tons of mommalies that would work. I'll think on it.
                              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                              X