Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

All New Appliances - need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All New Appliances - need advice

So we close on our house in about a week (after a year of living here and renting). The house is awesome - was a custom build about 15 years ago. There are a lot of cosmetic updates that we've already been working on, such as completing the update from brass to oil rubbed bronze that the previous owners started but didn't finish.

Now we're ready for the big purchases to start - appliances. The range is original to the house. One of the burners works, and when I make brownies, half of the pan burns and the other half is raw. I think I need a new range! My wall oven works great (and has been what I've tried to use solely this past year). Fridge is okay, but a side-by-side and about 7 years old, so probably only has a couple more years in it. Dishwasher is 7 years old and awful.

This is my really long way of saying that I think we've decided to take the plunge - and replace all of our appliances. I'm open to any and all advice (oh, except for my dishwasher). We have talked to a local store that will give us contractor pricing if we are replacing all of the appliances.

First, the cabinets are all white. I don't love them and wouldn't pick them if we were building a house, but they're here and not being replaced. Counter-tops are granite with a great deal of black in them. No back-splash (that will change, but probably not until the appliances are in). I'm thinking stainless. I don't love stainless, but the newer (only 7 year old) appliances that are white are already discolored. Plus, I'm still completely in the mode of updating a home for resale, and people are still definitely looking for stainless.

I'm not set on one brand for all appliances. I want to love each of my appliances, and I just don't think there's a company out there currently that does a great job with every one of their appliances.

In our last house, we had the Bosch dishwasher, and I'll never get anything different. I swear it worked better than my aunt's Viking. Phenomenal.

Fridge - Bottom mount freezer. Had a french door in the last house, but we have room here for a one-door, so I'm thinking of going for that. Does anyone have a brand they love?

Range - want a warming drawer. Gas cooktop. Open to suggestions on brands and features.

Wall oven - would like to go with the same brand as the range - they're almost next to each other.

Micro is above the range. I'm thinking of getting one that also does convection. Does anyone have thoughts on that? I'm probably crazy - I do have two ovens, but I also LOVE having two ovens, so would one more for back up be so bad? Don't know.

I've heard that GE has started making their appliances back in the US, which kind of excites me. It seems that every brands' quality changes every few years, which is so frustrating.

This will be the third set of appliances we've bought in less than five years, but the first set was for resale so we went with cost, and with the second, we really had to watch our budget. This time, I'm going to try to go for it and get what I really love, so tell me what you all love!

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Our house came with a Bosch dishwasher that is now in its 10 year and knock on wood still running great. We also inherited a 10 year old Sub-Zero that we already had serviced twice and it's not cheap. I like it but not sure it's worth the money. I do love my Blue Star gas cooktop and Zephyr hood. They're both high-end but to me were worth every penny. I'm also not crazy about our GE electric double oven, I constantly have to rotate tray/pan because they're both very uneven.

Comment

We have a Jenn-Air oven, stovetop and warming drawer, and they have worked really well.

Otherwise, I have no experience/insight, but I would say...SO jealous! Have a blast selecting your new stuff!

Comment

So jealous and can't wait to hear what you get/think. I'd love to replace our appliances someday. Le sigh.
        -Ladybug

Comment

Sub-Zero's are great but are stupidly expensive to service as Julie said. All microwaves are made by the same people- kind of like refrigerators.

My husband's friend from high school is an appliance repair guy- I'll email him and ask him. He has very definite opinions and knows what's happening now in the manufacturing realm.

Jenn

Comment

Jenn,
            That would be great. I'm starting to get palpitations about this whole thing. I'm so not used to spending a big chunk of money like this.
            -Deb

Comment

Oooh! Sounds so fun! Maybe because I'm not paying for it. When I worked at the big PR firm, we did PR & advertising for Sub-Zero & Wolf. They are nice! That's all I know. My appliances came from Sears. Actually, the fridge was from the scratch & dent store.

Please let us know what you end up with so we can all imagine what it's like!
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

and here, straight from Alan's reponse:

The best I can recommend for your friends is to go to Lowes and look at the Whirlpool refrigerators in the $900-$1000 range with the icemaker and bucket inside as opposed to bucket on the door. Bucket on the door is a bad refrigerator. I'm referring to the standard side by side refrigerators in the 25 cu.ft. category. For dishwasher... Bosch. Range... I'd probably stick with a mid range Whirlpool/Kitchenaid. Just enough to be stylish and not too expensive. Microwave... doesn't matter, they're all crap. Find what looks nice and don't spend more than $250 for it. Washer/Dryer... Whirlpool, Roper, Maytag, Inglis, Kitchenaid are all the same. I personally would stick with the Roper as the pair can be had for under $800 and it has no electronics.

What I wouldn't own if someone gave it/them to me... Any french door fridge, front load washer/dryer, anything frigidaire (electrolux), GE, samsung or LG. The last two have a hard time getting someone to work on them.

Comment

A brief update on the appliances. We have gone shopping three times - to two local stores, and Lowes. I wonder when or if we'll ever feel okay spending money. We have a local store who is giving us a contractor's discount, no tax, and waiting until mid-Sept to order for an energy star rebate. It's going to be about $5500, and DH and I are freaking out. I dreamt last night that we won the lottery, and all we did with the money was pay off student loans and then it was gone. We have a few different appliance options priced, but have definitely settled on the Bosch dishwasher (which we had decided on before), Whirlpool Gold fridge, I think, GE wall oven because the builder put in a 24", which is almost impossible to find. We are also going stainless because I have no idea if we'll stay here for the long term or if I need to think about resale. I did longingly look at Jenn-air, a subzero fridge (which we would of course reconfigure our HOUSE to fit), and a Viking range. And then, back to the reality of a dawkter's wife...
                  -Deb

Comment

No advice, but just congratulations! It's fun to hear about someone's new house!

Comment

We bought all GE Monogram and as a result got a big discount from a local store. I think we shaved at least 3 grand from the fridge alone.

All good advice so far. This is one area where I'm willing to go less expensive than more but I have to say that on holidays it's really nice to have the trivection option. I can't imagine cooking a turkey in a regular oven. I'd kill the poor bird for the second time.

Also -- not sure if you are considering double ovens but we did one oven with all the bells and whistles and a warming drawer in our first house out of training to save money. It was great.

Happy shopping!
                      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Are there any scratch and dent or Sears outlets near you? My parents have saved some big money buyibg appliances there, and tey usually still look great
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Jenn, not to hijack (much), but did your friend mention why he wouldn't recommend a French door refrigerator? I won't even ask about the front-load washer/dryer because I imagine people are really split on that one.

I'll second the scratch & dent Sears outlets. My parents also bought most of their appliances there and I couldn't even tell where the problems were until they pointed them out to me.
                          Cristina
                          IM PGY-2

Comment

Love Sears Scratch & Dent! $975 fridge for $400. Not kidding -- one little bitty ding that was barely noticeable.
                            Veronica
                            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

There are problems with the seals, apparently. We have one in the DC house though and I LOVED it and it hasn't had any problems though 3 years of renters and two years of us.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X