Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hardwood floor refinishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwood floor refinishing

We moved into a house with all hardwood floors on one level. The floors are in okay condition--some of them have a nice finish but others look like the polyurethane has worn off. I think they could use some refinishing, but I'm so burned out on the renovations we've done so far and also don't think I can take the smell of polyurethane--I have heard it's quite potent. I've just been researching water-based polyurethane finishes, which appears to be a more eco-friendly option. However, I know that the floors would need to be sanded first, and I don't know if I can handle any more dust (we are already dealing with drywall dust from the other renovations).

What have been others' experiences with refinishing hardwood floors? I know that if we need to do it, now is the time, before any of our furniture has been delivered, to make things easier.

I haven't done it myself but I hear that sanding floors is miserable work and very messy. Really, I've heard that you should move all your upholstered furniture and clothing out of the house before you attempt sanding floors.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Could you put some sort of was or coating on them in the meantime? That being said, it might be worth refinishing them. The floors in our place are original to the house (1939) and look awesome refinished (you can see the disaster they were before by looking at the unfinished area in the closets)

Murphys Oil Soap seems to help protect them a bit.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

If you're ever going to do it, do it now. You'll need to get over the dust thing until renovations are finished. It is what it is.

Comment

Alternately, if the finish is just scratched and dull, you could try a hardwood floor restorer. I think Armstrong makes one as well as Minwax. (I've used the minwax, worked great.)

The trauma of refinishing is minimal. Promise.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
            Alternately, if the finish is just scratched and dull, you could try a hardwood floor restorer. I think Armstrong makes one as well as Minwax. (I've used the minwax, worked great.)

The trauma of refinishing is minimal. Promise.
            Hmmmm, okay will look into this. This is the first time we've ever had hardwood floors, so I'm just starting to research how to take care of them. I never had them growing up so I know nothing about them, and all our rentals have been carpeted.

Anyhow, I will look into a hardwood restorer as well.

How bad was the polyurethane smell for the coating? I have read about oil and water-based polyurethanes. I am very sensitive to strong smells and have had a very hard time dealing with all the drywall dust--my lungs and throat have been very irritated by that. We're going to purchase a shop vac to try to get up the rest of the dust, I've been researching that too.

Comment

We just had wood floors installed and were told that the finish should last 10-15 years without needing to be redone.

In terms of redoing them - yes there will be A LOT of dust. And the polyurethane does smell strongly for several days but quickly fades. We had ours done before we moved in and I was so glad we did because it generated SO much dust, and the polyurethane made my eyes BURN when we went into the house. The smell was so strong I thought it would be there forever but with they windows open a few days it was gone - no lingering smell at all.

I'm asthmatic and allergic to dust mites so I understand your concern for dust. We thought we would have to get our ducts cleaned after the floors were done (pulling up the 25 yr old carpet stirred a ton of dust too) but surprisingly it was okay - but we did use our shop vac to clean during and after the installation of the floors.
              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                We just had wood floors installed and were told that the finish should last 10-15 years without needing to be redone.

In terms of redoing them - yes there will be A LOT of dust. And the polyurethane does smell strongly for several days but quickly fades. We had ours done before we moved in and I was so glad we did because it generated SO much dust, and the polyurethane made my eyes BURN when we went into the house. The smell was so strong I thought it would be there forever but with they windows open a few days it was gone - no lingering smell at all.

I'm asthmatic and allergic to dust mites so I understand your concern for dust. We thought we would have to get our ducts cleaned after the floors were done (pulling up the 25 yr old carpet stirred a ton of dust too) but surprisingly it was okay - but we did use our shop vac to clean during and after the installation of the floors.
                Thanks for your response! It was very helpful! Did you have any issues with your asthma and the wood sanding dust? How did you make the decision not to get your ducts cleaned (we're trying to decide about that right now).

Do you have a good rec for a shop vac? DH and I are going to buy one this week. Any other tips for cleaning up the dust? We thought we would 1) use the shop vac, 2) get a cleaning crew to come in with their vacuums, etc. and do another round of cleaning of everything, 3) change the filters, then 4) possibly get the ducts cleaned. Hopefully that will take care of the drywall dust.

Comment

I'd buy a shop vac if you have room for it--my family always found it very useful to have around, and I miss that now.

I just finished off some furniture with a water-based poly spray. No smell at all--I used it inside too.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

This is what we got - I wanted one that I would use too (so not too big or bulky) - we like it, it works well for cleaning out the cars as well.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=L5

My MIL told us to wait a week after the floors and carpets were done - and we found that the dust was A LOT better and didn't get the ducts cleaned. But we did vaccum several times and cleaned several times, vaccummed the vents where we could see the dust and changed the furnace filter. (I think the dust settled and we were able to clean most of it out - there was just a lot created and stirred up with the carpet and wood floors.) In the meantime I would consider getting one of those masks.... I would have gotten one but I was gone for the second day of ripping up carpet and didn't need it after we cleaned.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I had never heard of a "shop vac" until a few days ago--my understanding is that it's more of a heavy-duty vacuum than a regular vacuum cleaner. Would someone just use this as their regular vacuum cleaner for everyday use, or is it more to clean up from things like drywall dust? I like the one you suggested, MarissaNicole.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysideup View Post
                        Thanks for your responses. I had never heard of a "shop vac" until a few days ago--my understanding is that it's more of a heavy-duty vacuum than a regular vacuum cleaner. Would someone just use this as their regular vacuum cleaner for everyday use, or is it more to clean up from things like drywall dust? I like the one you suggested, MarissaNicole.
                        I use the shop vac for heavy duty stuff like the vents, the dust/wood/nails after the flooring, and to clean out the cars. I'd also use it in the basement concrete floor. For everyday use I use a vacuum with a HEPA filter. The shop vac would probably be a little too powerful for everyday use!

Comment

We had our floors screened a few years ago and the company that did the work had everything cleaned up by the time we got home. My aunt used the same company for a complete sanding and refinishing and had no issues with the dust. Find a reputable company and if you are worried about the smell or dust plan to stay away in a hotel for the night, or a fun long weekend .
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                            We had our floors screened a few years ago and the company that did the work had everything cleaned up by the time we got home. My aunt used the same company for a complete sanding and refinishing and had no issues with the dust. Find a reputable company and if you are worried about the smell or dust plan to stay away in a hotel for the night, or a fun long weekend .
                            Now that you mention this, I do think they have machines that capture the dust so there is little or no dust... but our flooring guys didn't use this... but it may have had to do with the fact that we were not living in the house yet so it was pretty easy to clean up the dust.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                              I'd buy a shop vac if you have room for it--my family always found it very useful to have around, and I miss that now.
                              We just bought a shop vac and it is fabulous! It's our first one. The suction is unbelievable. It cleaned up all the drywall dust with no problem. Practically pulled all the carpet up it was so strong. We got the special filter for drywall dust too, and it worked great. We're going to find all sorts of uses for this shop vac. I'd like to vacuum the vents and the cars with it too. Why is it that none of them seem to come with any upright attachment so you can vacuum your entire floor? Makes my regular vacuum seem useless.

Comment

Working...
                              X