Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What kinds of things do you DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
    I think the green tape is called "Frog tape" or something similar. I agree though, the classic blue painters tape bled a bunch for me too.
    Yep, it's the Frog tape. Every time I see that Home Depot commercial where the lady carelessly pulls off the blue tape so that her red wall has pretty white box shaped lines....... I just want to scream!
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

This weekend's project is installing a address plaque to my mailbox, painting/staining the wood post, and fixing the broken flag on my mailbox. Apparently there is a replacement flag kit to fix it. I bought that this morning and we'll give that a try tomorrow. I also bought this address plaque for the mailbox.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...-100392328-_-N

Two of my neighbors have this same address plaque and I really liked it. I'm going to hang it vertically on the post under the mailbox. The neighbors also put some kind of paint or stain on the wood mailbox post. I'd like to sand and paint/stain my post as well. I'm just not sure what kind of paint or stain to buy. It looks like they used a 'red wood tree' color. Anyone know?

I'm also replacing more electrical plates in the house. The old owner painted over every single electrical plate in the house.
      I'm also replacing on of the towel rings in the guest bathroom. The one I have now looks cheap (clear plastic ring) and there is paint on that as well. I bought a $5 towel ring at wallmart that goes with my new facets (brushed nickel). We'll see how it looks before I invest replacing the other towel bars in the bathrooms.

Basically, I’m avoiding those hideous flower beds that I posted about.

Comment

We have done lots of DIY projects. This week it is installing all of the lighting in the new house. Thats including 5 ceiling fans, 3 chandeliers, and 5 other lights. Of course I am just the helper. I myself have installed backsplashes, made tables, and painted everything in sight. DH has laid our hardwoods in the old house. This time I swear I will not do any of the technical work, that way I have someone to blame if it doesn't look perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by trisha2486 View Post
          We have done lots of DIY projects. This week it is installing all of the lighting in the new house. Thats including 5 ceiling fans, 3 chandeliers, and 5 other lights. Of course I am just the helper. I myself have installed backsplashes, made tables, and painted everything in sight. DH has laid our hardwoods in the old house. This time I swear I will not do any of the technical work, that way I have someone to blame if it doesn't look perfect.
          WOW! I'm impressed! I thought I was doing good this weekend but you have a serious to-do list! And you make tables?? Do tell!!

Comment

advice?

Here is how project mailbox went today. I'd appreciate your honest opinion on the wood stain. I was going to stain it 'Red Wood' but made a sudden change of mind at the store today. This is 'California Rustic'

Before pic. Broken flag, boring.

After pic. New mailbox flag, address plaque.

Comment

When we first moved into our house we hired pros for everything, but now pretty much do everything ourselves.

Instead of taping, you can try hitting all the edges with an angled brush (held at almost a 90 degree angle.) You'll get a much cleaner line and won't waste all that time taping.

Comment

Moonlight,

Nice mailbox. You have inspired me. I stained our deck, but not our mailpost. Once our kids go back to school, I'm going to try to keep up with the Moonlights.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Ooo...I like the mailbox.

Dang it...I need a decorating project now!
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Moonlight, great job! Unfortunately with football season coming up, my first thought was that it's Texas's color, which just wouldn't work for this Sooner. Just teasing! It looks fantastic, and I love the number plate!
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Good grief, I sometimes think we do too much stuff ourselves. I affectionately refer to DH as McGyver. He's frighteningly handy.

Here's some of the stuff we've done:
                      • Every time we move into a new home DH feels compelled to switch out all the door knobs (interior and exterior), redo the weather stripping, switch out all incandescent light bulbs with CFLs, switch out light fixtures, and update or add ceiling fans. Even in rentals.
                      • Installed 180' of 6' privacy fence.
                      • Tore down a dilapidated old shed. It was giant, ugly, and a PIA.
                      • Miscellaneous painting of walls and trim.
                      • Built a raised flower bed/garden.
                      • Removed/pulled out giant ugly evergreen shrubs that were taking over our flower beds.
                      • Swapped out appliances.
                      • Removed a rotting sliding glass door going out to our deck and swapped it out for French-style doors. (This one is my favorite. It looks awesome and changed the look of our dining room far more than I expected.)
                      • Gutted (down to the studs) and remodeled our downstairs bathroom -- including tiling, plumbing, painting, re-framing, fixing a crack in the foundation, rewiring lights, installing a new fan/light combo, moving around pipes in the walls to fix previous owners stupid idea of plumbing, refinishing the vanity, and installing a new toilet.
                      • Installing new recessed lights in the kitchen, master bedroom, and both bathroom showers.

DH enjoys having projects. I don't think I'll ever be able to avoid doing them.
                      Last edited by diggitydot; 08-15-2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                        Good grief, I sometimes think we do too much stuff ourselves. I affectionately refer to DH as McGyver. He's frighteningly handy.

Here's some of the stuff we've done:

• Every time we move into a new home DH feels compelled to switch out all the door knobs (interior and exterior), redo the weather stripping, switch out all incandescent light bulbs with CFLs, switch out light fixtures, and update or add ceiling fans. Even in rentals.
                        • Installed 180' of 6' privacy fence.
                        • Tore down a dilapidated old shed. It was giant, ugly, and a PIA.
                        • Miscellaneous painting of walls and trim.
                        • Built a raised flower bed/garden.
                        • Removed/pulled out giant ugly evergreen shrubs that were taking over our flower beds.
                        • Swapped out appliances.
                        • Removed a rotting sliding glass door going out to our deck and swapped it out for French-style doors. (This one is my favorite. It looks awesome and changed the look of our dining room far more than I expected.)
                        • Gutted (down to the studs) and remodeled our downstairs bathroom -- including tiling, plumbing, painting, re-framing, fixing a crack in the foundation, rewiring lights, installing a new fan/light combo, moving around pipes in the walls to fix previous owners stupid idea of plumbing, refinishing the vanity, and installing a new toilet.
                        • Installing new recessed lights in the kitchen, master bedroom, and both bathroom showers.

DH enjoys having projects. I don't think I'll ever be able to avoid doing them.
                        Wow, that's impressive, especially the remodeling of the downstairs bathroom! I'm also impressed about you installing new recessed lights yourself. I would have thought you'd needed an electrician for that!

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysideup View Post
                          Wow, that's impressive, especially the remodeling of the downstairs bathroom! I'm also impressed about you installing new recessed lights yourself. I would have thought you'd needed an electrician for that!
                          DH's dad is a lineman for a telecommunications company. When DH was a kid, their "family projects" included a lot of wiring so he's pretty good with it. And the recessed lights were a lot easier than I thought they'd be because we have an enormous crawl space over the entire top floor of the house.
                          Last edited by diggitydot; 08-16-2010, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                            DH's dad is a lineman for a telecommunications company. When DH was a kid, their "family projects" included a lot of wiring so he's pretty good with it. And the recessed lights were a lot easier than I thought they'd be because we have an enormous crawl space over the entire top floor of the house.
                            That is amazing!! It's nice when you have someone that knows how to do that kind of thing and also enjoys doing it as well!

Comment

Moonlight the mailbox looks great!

I'm so impressed by how DIY many of you are!

We just replaced a light fixture and fan in our house and did some painting this weekend. (We were waiting for the fixture and fan to go on sale and both were this weekend!) We're getting there slowly. But it does feel good to look back and see what WE'VE actually done to improve the place!
                              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                                Moonlight the mailbox looks great!

I'm so impressed by how DIY many of you are!

We just replaced a light fixture and fan in our house and did some painting this weekend. (We were waiting for the fixture and fan to go on sale and both were this weekend!) We're getting there slowly. But it does feel good to look back and see what WE'VE actually done to improve the place!
                                Thanks! It's fun isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X