Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Decorate my apartment for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorate my apartment for Christmas

I am seriously challenged when it comes to decorating and I'd like some help. My apartment is basically a blank canvas that needs a lot of help to make it look like home for the holidays. Looking at the photos, I realize I'm in dire need of some curtains, but I can't commit to a color. I would preferably like suggestions from Kohl's, as I have a 30% off coupon that expires on October 6th. I will also earn $10 for every $50 spent there until the 3rd. I don't have a set budget, but I'd like to keep the costs down. Any decorating pros up for the challenge?

4682675155_52870b0ae6_b_d.jpg4683308770_7c7d087969_b_d.jpg

There are a lot more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/misscra...57624233198234 if you're curious. I think I'd also like something for our front door, which is dark burgundy.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

I like this one in the copper color. I thought a brown would give you a neutral color to then add other accent colors. http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/furn...dow+Panel.jsp# I saw you had a bit of blue. Brwon and blues are pretty - I think. I love brown though - and know some people hate it. You need to give us more info...what are your fav colors? Do you like more modern stuff or traditional. With your furniture, you could go either way. BTW - I love your porch?balcony?? It looks huge! Definitely put some potted plants (winter hardy) out there to give you some color too.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I got all my curtains at TJMaxx. I never paid more than $10/panel--they were $30 at other stores. Check out Hobby Lobby for decorations though!
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Here are some things I do for Christmas: placemats/tablecloths, towels, I have a Christmas quilt that gets draped on the couch, wreath or other hanging thing on (next to) the front door, and then I replace some of my knick-knacks with Christmas ones. Basic stuff, pretty easy.

Curtain rods, for the record, are by far the most challenging thing I've done in my house so far. Set aside a fair amount of time and some patience!
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Just some ideas:

- putting a Christmas tree in front of the window/door that is the left of the fireplace
          - get a swag and/or hang stockings from mantle (or put decorations on the mantle)
          - get a holiday-type centerpiece for your kitchen table

Hobby Lobby has half price christmas and fall decor this week (I love their stuff!)
          And personally I like snowmen decorations because I can keep them out past December

You have a beautiful apartment - have fun decorating it!
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I haven't braved installing curtain rods yet. I'm actually not sure I want to bother with this now since we'll most likely move next year. I don't think the expandable kind look very good, and they probably wouldn't fit anyway since most of the space is taken up by the blinds.

We went to Kohl's the other day and we bought a couple of things. We couldn't agree on a wreath for the door so we decided to keep looking. The only nice ones they had were more or less the same color as the door, and he didn't like the one in a contrasting color. We got matching stockings and I can't wait to hang those. We also got a fall door decoration, but we forgot to buy the hanger for it. Lovely. He hated every single fall/Thanksgiving kitchen towel. He called them kitschy. I thought they were cute. I think "cute" can look good when done in moderation.

We have a pre-lit artificial tree (which looks surprisingly good) that I think I will set up to the right of the TV. I'd like to put it to the left of the fireplace, but I'm not sure there's enough space there for things to not look cramped. I have a few decorations for it, though not many, but those should be pretty cheap if I need to buy more. For the dining table, I think I'll get a red Christmas cactus from Red Envelope if they offer it again this year. I ordered one for my mom years ago and it arrived with a partially broken pot. They sent me another one and I got to keep the first one for my own apartment. I loved how it looked.

As for the colors I like, I like green, blue, and a bit of red here and there. I also like pink, but I'm told that's unacceptable. I'll just wait till I have a girl.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Working...
            X