Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Washer reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer reccomendations

Our front-loading washer has got one foot in the grave - sounds like the bearings are going, and it won't be worthwhile to repair. It's very sad, as I've loved this washer from day one.
    Anyway, time to buck up and look forward. I'd like to get another front loader, at least 4 cubic feet capacity, preferably more. I'm figuring on some good columbus day sales this monday. Any ideas?
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

We have an eight year old Kenmore that has been very good to us at least until recently. Having said that . . . .

I know it's a little off topic, but how do you know that the bearings are going? I ask because during the spin cycle our front loader is incredibly loud. So loud that when I was outside talking to our neighbor one day the washer went into spin cycle and our neighbor asked us what was going on inside. I was used to it and said it was just our washer. Other than being loud it works fine. Is a really loud spin cycle a sign the bearings are going?
    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

My daughter and my nextdoor neighbor have the Whirlpool and had to replace the motherboard within a year. Whichever washer you decide check online for recalls. My daughter googled "problems with and the model number" and found alot of information about the problems other people were having with the same model.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

to be honest, I had a repairman out about another problem, and he told me the bearings were going. But it is getting increasingly loud, and unbalanced, and when it's off you can move the drum up and down too much. He's the one who told me that I shouldn't get it repaired when it finally goes, because the repairman will tell me it's not worth it, and I'll just be out the cost of a service call.
        Ours is a kenmore as well. Thanks Luanne for the advice - I've been checking reviews on line, kenmores seem to fare well.
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

We have an LG Tromm 2277. It's been fine. We've had it around 4 years being run at least every other day because of cloth diapering.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Front loading... wouldn't that be newer? I swear they only make appliances to last a couple years these days - granted they are more efficient and probably a lot better- but the old ones last forever, our washer is from 1985 and still kickin! (Although if it goes I hope its in the next 9 months while we have our home warranty )

ANYWAYS... have you checked out Sears Outlets - they sell appliances at deep discounts based on minor artificial imperfections. For example a dishwasher may have a dent or scratch on the back where no one would even notice but its discounted in price.
            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

YES to Sears Outlets. Haha, my parents even got an appliance for free once because they just couldn't figure out how to bill them for it. My dad called 3 times and they just couldn't get it straight
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We have two Kenmore Elite Oasis HE washers. They are top loaders, but without the agitator....they hold a TON! We have had one for a little over two years and the other for a year. I liked it well enough to buy the same thing when we bought a second washer/dryer. We got both of them at a Sears outlet.....highly recommend you look there if there is one close to you.
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks all - I'm off to the Sears Outlet today to check.
                  Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                  Let's go Mets!

Comment

We have a new LG with direct drive motor (whatever that is). I like it a lot more than my Kenmore. It cleans better and is much quieter.
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn View Post
                      We have a new LG with direct drive motor (whatever that is). I like it a lot more than my Kenmore. It cleans better and is much quieter.
                      I must have an older model LG. I am glad to hear that others like theirs! I hate mine. It is front-loading and collects the worst crap and fails to drain all the water sometimes.

Comment

I bought a Kenmore 4.2 cuft front loader from Sears. With the sale at Sears and free delivery (after rebate) it came out that the Outlet wasn't a great deal. The washer is made by LG for Sears. Delivery is Wednesday (I think I'm going to have to dismantle some doors to get it into the basement).
                        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                        Let's go Mets!

Comment

Working...
                        X