Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

To Pew or not to Pew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Pew or not to Pew

We pewed.
    As in my husband dragged me to a church that was "downsizing" and made me help him purchase a 13 foot long pine church pew to put in our backyard. It is HUGE and must weigh 200 lbs. We could barely get it in our Jeep and I had to sit in the back with it the entire way home holding down the tailgate. It still stuck out at least 5 feet. We just HAD to have it because we are throwing a party next weekend and we clearly needed more seating. Now all of our 15 guests can sit on one piece of furniture. Thank god (!) it was only $20. To be honest it looks pretty cool in the backyard but it was a pain in the &#@ to move.
    I can't decide if I want to paint it a fun color or leave it as is.
    [IMG]file:///Users/V/Desktop/-1.jpg[/IMG]-1.jpg

I like the color it is - more natural...my only concern would be getting some type of weather-proof seal or stain on it (like a deck stain?) Do you want it to stick out or blend in?
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I am definitely going to go to Home Depot and get some sort of sealant for it. I don't really know what I want it to do. I was entertaining the idea of painting it red but a sort of distressed red, like you see on old doors out here in the Southwest but I'm not sure it would look good with the lighter wood. I don't want it to be too bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.BrainSurgeon View Post
        I am definitely going to go to Home Depot and get some sort of sealant for it. I don't really know what I want it to do. I was entertaining the idea of painting it red but a sort of distressed red, like you see on old doors out here in the Southwest but I'm not sure it would look good with the lighter wood. I don't want it to be too bright.

For some reason red was my first thought, but natural is good too. Its awesome and I love the story about driving it home. Enjoy it!
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

That looks awesome! I WANT ONE! Are they still selling them? I'm trying to figure out where everyone is going to sit for DH's graduation party.

I hope your party goes well!

Comment

I love it!
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

What a great idea!!! It looks perfect!
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Cool idea! Just as long as you don't pass a collection plate at your parties.
                Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                Let's go Mets!

Comment

NSGs are so weird. My husband has done stuff like this, too. I swear, it's like they live to always find the most difficult path. Why buy patio furniture when you can get an old church pew?!

It is really cool, though!

Comment

Just need to say, the pew is awesome! If I had room in our backyard I would totally get one as well. I like the natural color....

Comment

It looks great the way it is!
                      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I've gotta be honest, when I first read your post I thought someone lost their ever-loving mind. Your pic looks awfully cool, though. The SW red would be awesome. If you have questions about how to refinish or what products to use, feel free to PM me. I was an architectural and commercial coatings consultant in a former life.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                          NSGs are so weird. My husband has done stuff like this, too. I swear, it's like they live to always find the most difficult path. Why buy patio furniture when you can get an old church pew?!

It is really cool, though!
                          So true! I told him that y'all liked it and he now feels completely vindicated. Next time I am keeping my mouth shut, it just encourages him!

Comment

That is really neat. I love the way it looks! I love paining so red sounds awesome!

Comment

IT RAINED!!!! Like a lot, it never rains out here. Even when it says it's going to rain I don't take it seriously. I didn't have a chance to seal it before and there was no chance I could move it under cover. Any suggestions as to how to save it? It doesn't seem to be totally soaked through, it did have some light varnish on it that seemed to protect it a bit. I wiped it down this morning and am hoping for a dry day but it looks pretty cloudy out still. Silver lining: It will definitely look "distressed"!

Comment

Working...
                              X