Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Best sofa material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best sofa material?

We are looking to get a new sofa and loveseat. Definitely not in the high-end price range, but something better than what we have now. Our set was a family hand-me down with a floral print that screams early 90s (maybe 80s). I love that we were given these, but they have been destroyed by one happy-scratching cat. I keep them covered with nice-looking couch covers (the print didn't go with my oriental rugs!) but I am SO SO SO sick of the covers, constantly straightening, washing, etc.

We have a bit of gift money with which to get new, but they have to:

(a) Maybe tolerate a persistent beast of a cat.
    (b) Tolerate a growing baby (and possibly more kids in the future).
    (c) Handle moves as we are still MS, and will have residency, fellowship (maybe), and attending moves.

So we were thinking, maybe a leather? Some say that leather is the best for cleanup from kids other say it is terrible. I've also heard that cats don't like the feel of leather and will generally avoid it. Please share your wisdom all mighty IMSN!!

(Our style is more classic than modern... if that makes sense)

TIA!!
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Microfiber!
    We have the Troy sofa from Crate and Barrel and whenever we spill anything on it, you just wipe it off!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I guess I should say, more than just cleanup I am worried about the cat. I dont want to shell out on something that he can really gets his claws into if you know what I mean. (And we will not declaw him).

Comment

We have leather bc of the kids. It is super easy to keep clean. We didnt spend much on the couches. Got them at Costco.
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

We have a leather couch and a cat. While she doesn't exactly sharpen her claws on the couch, accidents still happen. I say it looks well-loved, but you may want to consider other materials if you're very particular about this kind of thing.
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

Forget leather with cats. Don't make me post pics! Lol. Our cats have killed all nice upholstery. If it was up to me, I'd declaw them. I know that sounds terrible, but my cats even killed my artificial , decorative wooden tree! Leather is awesome for clean-up but bad for cats ...
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Rubber?
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I'd say probably not leather...

Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Whoa, holy cow! Now I feel like I have to defend the cats. Not all are scratchers and some may even prefer their own scratching post. I've had my couch since November 2005 and the cat since January 2006. My parents used it while I was in the Caribbean so it's been around cats for 5 years. Here it is:

If you want to see more detail of the second picture, here's the link to the full size: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/...67c7d3_o_d.jpg Most of the damage is on the far left cushion. ETA: I just realized that it depends on how you look at the couch. OK, towards the window.
                    Cristina
                    IM PGY-2

Comment

Yeah, I think our cats were especially fond of our recliner. We tried all kinds of scratching posts (even one of those expensive cat towers), sprays, tape, etc. But once they'd gotten a feel for the leather, it was all over for the chair.
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

OMG Laurie!! That's outrageous. I'd love to let him be the outdoor cat he wants to be... but it is 20 deg outside today and snowing. He finds it offensive that I even open the door near him. I think at this juncture it is a crapshoot. We will not be spending $4000 on any couches, but maybe upgrade to something a little better and just cut the losses. I love the beast, but sometimes he drives me bonkers. Thanks everyone for the input. If you see any nice rubber couches, you just let me know.

Comment

Microfiber! We used to have 2 cats & they never bothered it. I love ours because the covers are removable and washable. Whenever the kids spill something on the couch, all I have to do is throw the cover in the washing machine.

Microfiber isn't expensive either!
                          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Microfiber is definitely in the running. We had microfiber couch covers for a while, but he destroyed them. I think it is because they did not fit very tightly, they were pretty loose and he'd get caught on them jumping up/down. I think if we bought microfiber with a tight weave it might work better.

Comment

I was going to say that our cat doesn't cat for any of the couches but loves the leather chair. She's not scratching it on purpose but every time she lands on it, you can see the claw marks. As for the baby, I'm very happy with the couch and arm chair we got on clearance from Room and Board. I just lightly rub a damp sponge on any stain and it vanishes.

This is what we have in polyester micro-velvet, http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...ategory=201198 we got a discontinued color last year (chocolate brown). After a year with a cat, baby and lots of visitors, it still looks great.

Comment

Working...
                              X