Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Frustrated with paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated with paint

We've painted almost the whole house now. One room at a time. We've used behr premium plus/eggshell finish. The dining room is red. We love it! The wall that we pass by the most, to get upstairs, has hand marks on it from the kids. (shocking)
    I cannot, cannot, cannot get the marks off. Streaks from the original marks, streaks from wiping it. We've tried everything short of repainting it. Vinegar, soap, just hot water, windex, magic eraser. Sponges, rags, paper towels. Now, the kitchen has the same thing where I tried cleaning off the wall in one spot. I was hopeful it was just the red, but it's not. *sob*
    I'm very upset. The paint is $30 plus a can. We've paid someone to come in. I can't fathom repainting with a different brand.
    Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts? Magical solutions.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Ahhh man! That blows.
    I hope there's a solution!!

Comment

I'm really sorry. Although many people don't like it, that is why I only do high- gloss (everywhere). Good luck, I wish I had an easy solution.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Did you use kitchen and bath paint or just the regular Behr premium plus? Kitchen paint is a little hardier. As for the red wall, I'd just repaint the one wall and either put chair rail up to prevent the hands. I can't get the hand prints off Nikolai's bedroom wall anymore, either. Fun with kids.

Jenn

Comment

I find it hard to believe there isn't a solution - have you asked the paint desk at Home Depot?

That does suck!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Full diclosure: I worked in both the industrial and architectural coatings industries prior to moving for DH's med school.

The issue is the sheen. Eggshell or velvet aren't very washable. You can typically wipe them down, but scrubbing is usually out. The more you scrub, the more you burnish the finish. Sorry, you're going to need to repaint to get rid of it.

You don't have to use a semi-gloss or a gloss finish for increased durability, though. A satin finish is usually a good compromise between durability and not having a coating telegraph every tiny imperfection in a wall.

Comment

Also, FWIW -- the peeps at the HD paint desk are nice, but not well-educated. Ask at a stand-alone store and you'll receive more accurate information. Sherwin Williams is a very good one. They were one of my old comapny's biggest competitors, but have some really knowledgeable peeps and excellent products. They're more expensive than necessary, though.

Comment

Thanks, dd. Well that blows.
                Do you recommend a specific brand/sheen?
                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

My personal favorite national brands are Behr and Sherwin Williams. For walls, I like satin finish in most rooms, semi-gloss in kitchens and baths.

Comment

Working...
                  X