Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hulu? Netflix? Roku? Apple TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulu? Netflix? Roku? Apple TV?

You guys are a wealth of information, so I know you'll have some great insight into this. I had a LONG post typed up, and then I realized nobody cared about all the details.

I'm trying to downgrade or possibly cancel our TV package. How available are current seasons of ABC, CBS, and NBC shows on Hulu? I tried Netflix, and I was disappointed. I know lots of you love it for its huge collection of movies and TV shows, but we're not trying to fill our time with more TV. We just want the current season of some of the shows on those 3 channels, preferably in HD.

Downgrading to the cheapest package would be $44 while keeping HD service and the DVR. Can we do it for less?

I just realized there's the option of simply downloading the TV shows we watch on either Amazon or iTunes. Is there anything I'm missing? How about Roku or Apple TV? I'm so clueless when it comes to this. Help!
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Some shows are available immediately or the next day on Hulu, others you have to wait 8 days for the latest episode. Look at each program you're interested in for the distribution schedule.

Is there any reason you can't get broadcast TV? Since the digital transition I believe that most channels are broadcasting in HD, for free. Unfortunately we live in a rural area so the signal is too poor to pick up without extra equipment. Fortunately we don't miss it -- we have a Mac Mini attached to a 32" flat screen TV that we use for desktop computing and for streaming Hulu and Netflix.

My parents have Apple TV and last I checked it was just a device that would accept a wireless signal of your iTunes library to be shown on the TV. Unless it has Hulu now (there was some talk of integrating it into the programming the way that Youtube is currently available through the Apple TV), it's not really a substitute way to get your programs.
    Alison

Comment

How would it work if we were to cancel cable entirely? Do we need an antenna? We have a 32 inch HDTV if that helps.

The one show I can't seem to find anywhere is Big Bang Theory. I'd hate to lose that.
      Cristina
      IM PGY-2

Comment

I think you need a set of rabbit ears, yes. Looks like they're $10-15 at Best Buy. Also double check that your TV has a built-in digital converter (I think all of them that have been made since 2006 or so have them).
        Alison

Comment

I like Hulu. You can also watch alot of current shows on the network websites the next day. Check out NBC.com, ABC.com, etc.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We do Hulu or Itunes rentals for our TV shows. Hulu plus seems to be taking over hulu, but so far we haven't needed it (I think that is $8/month). We have a cable that we ordered that connects our laptop with the TV and it plays the show on the TV. Works for us and we have no cable bills at all. News we get with the $20 rabbit ear antennae.
            Good luck!
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We have NetFlix streaming through our PS3 and then we rock the bunny ears and broadcast for the rest. We get all the major networks, PBS and lots of Spanish TV and "Jesus" TV. I can't face paying so much for cable, it just pisses me off too much. That being said we do not watch anything religiously, so I'm totally happy with bad reruns of stuff like 2 1/2 men....!!

Comment

Yeah, BBT is the one big hangup; I'm assuming (but haven't checked) that previous seasons are available on netflix, since they're on DVD, but there's noplace legal to get it online same-season, as far as I can tell.
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Right now the plan is to downgrade before we take any more drastic measures. I ordered the antenna from Amazon. If that works, I'll see about getting a DVR and cancelling the TV package altogether. I was thinking maybe a refurbished TiVo. Any other suggestions?

ETA: Nevermind. I spoke before I looked. BBT is available on the website. Cool.
                  Last edited by MissCrabette; 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                    We do Hulu or Itunes rentals for our TV shows. Hulu plus seems to be taking over hulu, but so far we haven't needed it (I think that is $8/month). We have a cable that we ordered that connects our laptop with the TV and it plays the show on the TV. Works for us and we have no cable bills at all. News we get with the $20 rabbit ear antennae.
                    Good luck!
                    What are iTunes rentals?
                    Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                      What are iTunes rentals?
                      In the iTunes store, some shows are available for rental, most are $0.99 I think. It is a pretty limited selection so far, some we just buy. This is also how we rent movies generally, most of those are roughly $4 or so. I think you have 24 hours to watch your rental once you start it. You can watch it as many times as you'd like during the rental period.

Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Yay! The antenna works beautifully. We get the same exact channels we get with the $19 basic package. I love it! I went ahead and ordered a refurbished TiVo. If that works well, I'll cancel the TV package completely. Thanks for all the suggestions.
                        Cristina
                        IM PGY-2

Comment

I'm really clueless about this stuff. I like reading it all-- but... HULU- that's a site that streams TV shows right? Do they stream them on the same day? A day after? And is there a subscription?

I'm guessing you need to have some type of wireless connectivity between your TV and your computer for streaming. Does this work seemlessly? Do they put in ads like it does when you watch "on demand?"

I'm just curious. Our TV is old-- non-digital. But when we move we are upgrading. I like to have all the news channels though. Do those stream thru HULU too? I'm sure I just have to go to Hulu's webite...
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Hulu has new and old shows. It is free, but you can pay for "more" if you want to, but I haven't done that. I am currently half way through the episodes of Wildfire. If you like horeses you will like Wildfire. I think there are three season available.
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                            X