Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cleaning Tips/Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do the same thing. I figure its one of the very few advantages of all this moving. I get to try out different houses, features, and neighborhoods so I'll know what I really want when the time comes.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Suzy....don't even get me started on the shit that is a glass top stove! A pain in the ass to keep clean, scratches galore, and the heat on/off cycling equals burn/cool...ugh! If we buy in this neighborhood (which we are seriously considering right now). I'm totally ganking the gas line from the fireplace and routing it to the kitchen! I can't believe they didn't do that when they remodeled this place.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
        I'm totally going to be "that doctors wife" because I'm thinking I want the fridge and dishwasher etc to be paneled like the cabinets.
        This. Totally this.
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

OMG Michele! We have one if those on our current rental too and I HATE it!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have so many friends who love stainless, and I think they're CRAZY. We have bought stainless - when we knew we were going to sell and that's what buyers look for in a higher-end kitchen. I'm all about the black appliances. They don't show much and don't turn yellow. Who the heck thought of glass top stoves and insisted that anything not gas be made that way, is on my list. After one use, they look terrible!!!! Our new house, however, has the whitest, whitest, most boring kitchen on earth. I hope I'm not waiting years to update counters and add my black appliances.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Huh. My SS appliances don't get yucky at all. (and trust me, my kids are grubby slobs) Maybe they're just not touching it. I recently tried the olive oil trick on the few fingerprints we had and it was amazing.

Now, before everyone thinks glass top stoves are horrible...let me say, I will NEVER EVER go back to gas. I bought a glass top induction and it is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. I throw a silpat under the pot or pan to avoid scratches and it also makes for easy clean-up. I spend less than 5 minutes a week cleaning it and it looks brand new still. Gas just has too many parts, crap gets burned on, etc. There's no way to keep it looking nice without a huge investment in time.

Comment

I like black appliances. They always look updated!
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Chris- seriously- the silpats can withstand the heat? I mean I guess they could if we bake w/ them but the thought never occurred to me to use them on the burners...

I'm half scared, half excited at the prospect.

J.

Comment

I'm sure the inductions are fabulous but ours isn't an induction its just a glasstop and it SUCKS! I so want gas. The house we lived in for 7 years wasn't gas and then the rental we stayed in for 6 weeks was, I LOVED it. DH converted me just with that one house.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                      Chris- seriously- the silpats can withstand the heat? I mean I guess they could if we bake w/ them but the thought never occurred to me to use them on the burners...

I'm half scared, half excited at the prospect.

J.
                      Yes! Plus, inductions don't get that hot anyway. Seriously, saves me a ton of time in cleaning.

Comment

What about for a non-induction glasstop? I don't think the one here I induction...it's the cheap GE black one. Does silpat help with even heating? I didn't think I had cheap pans, but they don't like the on of cycle of heat that the stove puts out. The inside of the pan is either too hot or too cool. Food sticks, gets burnt on the bottom....pudding is the worst! I'm scared to try to make étouffée.

The Dallas house had a gas range. One of it's few (very few) redeeming qualities. It was an older cheap one, but it was still nice to cook on....until the rats started nesting around the pilot lights....
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I never used a gas stove until we moved to MI. Everyone has a gas stove, where as most have electric down south. Will never go back to electric ever!

Comment

Our house in Indiana had my first gas stove/range. I'll never use anything else. Didn't realize what a HUGE difference it makes.

Comment

My parents replaced their gas stove last year--they got a version that is almost as easy to clean as a glass top. Most of the surface is completely smooth. Apparently there is stovetop heaven!
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I love gas! It's frankly amazing to me that people like glass cooktops! I think they're horrible! I've never had induction, but absolutely loathe electric. Electric doesn't heat fast enough or cool fast enough. You have very little control. If you have a pot larger than your burner, it won't work, and will shut off, so if you have a large dutch oven, stock pot, griddle, grill pan, or canning pot, you can't use them because most cooktops shut themselves off.

I also think cleaning classtops is a nightmare. Si glad I have gas again!
                                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                                X