Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Grafitti removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grafitti removal?

Our metal maibox got tagged with permanent marker. Any ideas for how to remove it?
    married to an anesthesia attending

I remember someone saying something about removing permanent marker from plastic tubs. Was it the anti-static spray?
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Acetone, lacquer thinner, xylol -- all will work to varying degrees.

ETA: Might also try Goof-Off or Goodbye Splatters (not the water-based versions).
      Last edited by diggitydot; 09-07-2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks--dh is on it now. I just want to make sure we get it off ASAP before others come to tag it further. Ahhh, city living.

Comment

If it's more than a one-time thing, call your city councilperson!
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
            Any ideas for how to remove it?
            Call your trashbin-monopolizing doctor-neighbor and tell him to stop committing petty vandalism in a childish expression of his frustration about not being allowed to mooch off your bin anymore!!

(kidding!)

Comment

Ugh. Tried a bunch of different things, and none of it worked... We tried a magic eraser. What a POS. That has never worked for anything I've ever tried to remove from anything.

Tomorrow I'll pick up some goof off. I also read online that you can use it for graffiti. If that doesn't work then we'll have to get a new mailbox.

So stupid. Seriously, I hope this person gets hit by a car tomorrow.

Comment

I'm sorry. People suck...
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

What is the mailbox made out of? If it's metal, priming and repainting the damn thing will be loads easier. If it's plastic, painting it isn't a good option. And solvents "hot" enough to remove the permanent marker will also melt the plastic.

You might also consider coating your mailbox (new or old) with an anti-graffiti coating. It's a sacrificial coating that enables you to simply wipe off graffiti, but it has to be reapplied frequently.

Comment

It's metal, but has a finish on it. It matches the 3 other mailboxes in the townhouse complex, so my hope is to not have to replace it or try to color match the finish.

I just bought a $9 can of Goof Off, and will give it a go during M's nap.

Comment

If it already has a finish on it, be very careful. Anything that can affect the marker can affect the finish, too. Depending on what it is...

Comment

Yeah. From our efforts already, we've rubbed off some of the finish. Argh! If it only didn't say "cock."

Comment

Goof off removed it!!!
                          Acetone, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, paint thinner all did not work!

Comment

Glad it's gone! I hope the punks get caught! (But not at your house again!!)
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Now go get some of that anti graffiti coating!

Comment

Working...
                              X