Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Flea Infestation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea Infestation

Discovered it today. We have no idea where they came from...no pets...no carpet. There is a dog that lives on the other side of the duplex.

Could it have to do with the cooler weather?

And how do we get rid of them???
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

The dog you watched?

Vacuum vacuum vacuum (rugs and couches). Wash things that can be washed (bedding, pillows, throw rugs). I've had luck with Borax spread on carpet overnight and vacuumed up the next day (to kill the eggs). But if you don't have carpet, I'm not sure where the eggs would be hiding. Mop with steaming hot water and be sure to get all corners.

Do you know the owners of your neighbor dog? Can you ask if they are using flea control (Advantage, Frontline, Comfortis, etc)? Maybe ask the landlord about outside pest control?
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Depending on the type of vacuum you have - put a flea collar in the bag of your vacuum and then vacuum. Everywhere. Over and over.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

It's a canister vacuum. I was wondering about the dog, but that was over a month ago and he has always been treated for fleas. I guess we will find out if my parents have a problem too.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We've had luck with eucalyptus leaves and cotton balls soaked with ammonia in the vacuum (don't forget to empty the canister outside though).
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Gah add the feral cats outside and the baby birds in the fireplace to the list of suspects. Neighbor isn't having a problem but she vacuums every day for dog hair. It seems a little better today and there were only 2 fleas in the trap from all night. I'm going to try orange oil and diamataceous sp? Earth in the meantime. The powder I found at Wal mart had too many warnings for my liking.

On the bright side DH is cleaning on his own with no prodding. It bothers him more than me

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
              On the bright side DH is cleaning on his own with no prodding. It bothers him more than me
              I think you need to continue "seeing" a flea or two for awhile.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

OH dear Lord, the treatment might be worse than the fleas.

He got a little overzealous.

This better get rid of the little monsters. After what Michele went through with the rats, I think we might be responsible for any pest control, which will be impossible if the cause is squirrels in the attic.

I want to move.

Comment

Hahaha. Bless his heart! At least he's trying!

Comment

Oh dear. There's a house to rent on my street. Just sayin'.
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                    X