Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

do I tip in this instance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do I tip in this instance?

Crate and Barrel has let me down twice. Our seat cushions for our new couch sank immediately after we purchased them. It took them 7 months to replace them. And now, our coffee table warped to the point that its wooden panels don't close entirely. Nothing else in the same room has warped like the table. They are replacing the table today.

The question is -- I have already paid a delivery fee for the first table (about 8 months ago). And I tipped the delivery people. Do I need to tip them again this time...?
    married to an anesthesia attending

My vote is no.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I never tip delivery ppl... I pretty much suck. I admit the thought doesnt even occur to me. Like tipping the garbage guys. I know ppl do it but it just never occurs to me. Dh doesn't get tips. My kids sure as hell don't tip me...
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Thanks.

C&B contracts their delivery services out. You get to select a day from a few options, and then they call you 24 hours in advance with a pre-assigned 2-hour window. If that time window doesn't work for you, you call C&B and they tell you "I am going to change the window as a courtesy to you this ONE time, and if you need to make any further changes, we have to charge you a fee." F YOU! I don't even get to pick the window of time to begin with, and when it doesn't work, they get huffy?!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
          I never tip delivery ppl... I pretty much suck. I admit the thought doesnt even occur to me. Like tipping the garbage guys. I know ppl do it but it just never occurs to me. Dh doesn't get tips. My kids sure as hell don't tip me...
          Yes, this.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'm the opposite, I always tip them.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I gave them cans of pop!

Comment

For me, it depends on the delivery people. The last time we had furniture delivered it was a lot of heavy pieces that ALL had to either go upstairs or downstairs. The guys were AWESOME! they helped me arrange and rearrange everything a few times, were quick and efficient, and exceptionally nice. I gave them each a $20 and they were worth every single penny. Our whole order wasn't able to be delivered together and I was stoked that the same kids delivered the second batch, too. I tipped then, too.

But I don't always tip or tip well. Most of my friends have, at some point, worked service jobs and some were trying to support families on their tips while going to school. It's a tough way to live, so I make it a point to tip well when I'm treated well. However, shitty service gets a talk with a manager and obvs no tip.

Comment

I don't tip furniture delivery people. But I probably overtip tip everybody else. Even the crazy lady who gave me a horrible brow wax got 22% or so. (I'm lazy and only had a 5. I didn't think she was competent enough to make change or charge my card correctly). I'll never see her again, so I don't even know why I bothered.

I'm better at restaurants. I tip based on service. Probably still too often on the high side, but I am one of those people who feels bad for everything. I was the kid who always colored in brown because nobody liked that color and it made me sad.
                  I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

CP, I do the same thing at restaurants... For really terrible service, I leave 10%. They probably just think I'm cheap, not that I'm unhappy with the service!

No clue on the furniture delivery.
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

You mean furniture that doesn't arrive unassembled in boxes delivered by ups or fedex? Yeah, haven't had any of that. I look forward to the day...
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Lol VGirl. I was trying to think of if we have had furniture delivered and we have once. Only once. Usually we would pick up the boxes at ikea and dh would assemble. I never tip him. Come to think of it though I guess the guys who delivered our bedroom set were probably expecting a tip? Idk. I didn't pick up on that vibe at all at the time.

Is there a website or something about when to tip? Honestly it seems like it's out of control. Tipping the garbage men, the newspaper guy, the hairdresser, the salon owner, the person who waxes you and causes you loads if pain (gee thanks here's 5$)... Delivery guys, waitstaff, tour guides, drivers, airport shuttle drivers, etc etc. It's too much.
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

The garbage man? WTF? Ours drives the truck up and down the alleys or streets (if the driveways are in front) and the truck picks the can up and dumps it. No tip.
                          Veronica

Comment

Ooooh, the garbage man is a good one to tip. If you forget to pull your cans out, he'll knock on your door. When it's windy, he'll put them in a safe place, and when you have extra bags, he won't charge you for them!

Comment

We have city-issued cans. Suburban garbage men don't get out of their trucks here.
                              Veronica

Comment

Working...
                              X