Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tablecloths (and kids)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have my grandmother's dining room table which is covered with a pad and a cloth and it's where I'm sitting right now. It's currently home to the PTA junk. We rarely sit at it to eat- but have. The other table is a hearty they don't make 'em like they used to maple table my parents bought when they got married- it desperately needs to be refinished but it's hanging tough. No placemats, no cloth, no nothing but Wood for Good wipes or Wood for Good spray with a cloth diaper (bought for their cleaning properties, because they're perfect!)

Jenn

Comment

I'll try to find some of that Wood for Good stuff. It's not a particularly nice table after 10 years, but I'm not replacing it any time soon. It has fork marks from the kids. Syrup is big offender here, the kids have pancakes or waffles almost every morning and everything gets sticky! I'm going to try the butcher paper idea too. And probably get some clips to hold it in place.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I have one table cloth that actually wipes down decently, but it slides. I got it from Bealls, mom got one from BB&B, and it's laminated cloth or something. It feels like cloth but it's been coated with something. I think some of the coating is coming off though bc I keep putting it in the washing machine.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We only ever do tablecloths or runners as a decorative element. Our three stooges are older so they're expected to clean up their own damn mess. They typically eat at the kitchen island, which has a laminate top that they can scrub the hell out of. The dining room table is a solid wood, counter-top height one where the kids typically do their homework and we onay occasionally eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
            I have one table cloth that actually wipes down decently, but it slides. I got it from Bealls, mom got one from BB&B, and it's laminated cloth or something. It feels like cloth but it's been coated with something. I think some of the coating is coming off though bc I keep putting it in the washing machine.
            You could make one from laminated fabric (fabric.com has a good selection ... and they're on ebates). I would assume pinterest has some magical way to make it stay.

We use placemats, but they still manage to make a mess (dh included). Sunday night I gave both boys dishtowels and they had to follow around me wiping up all their messes after I sprayed. I'm pretty sure Wood for Good is one of the Method products and you can get it at Target or on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3 View Post
              I had a tile-topped table when my kids were young. I didn't like it for other reasons, but it did alleviate the need for a tablecloth.
              We have been following Peggy's method ... a table from Ikea that we don't care much for. I think I'm going to tile it this weekend. Fun!

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Kris, I was thinking about tiling our table too...but I'm not sure what to do about table edge to make it purty. ???

Comment

you can get quarter-round tiles. Or you can frame it in w/wood moulding.

Comment

We have a really beat up table from JCP. No matter what I wipe it down with, there is a stickiness to the table. I may have taken the finish off with some cleaning product at some point in its 6 years of existance. I'm going to check out the Wood for Good stuff. I can't wait to replace the table with a gorgeous table with more than 4 chairs and leaves made by the Amish. It will match the hutch we bought last year.

We don't really use tablecloths or runners, I'm kind of lazy at the moment, lol. When I do use a tablecloth, its an Evolution one I got from BBB. They're made from recycled bottles and liquid spills bead up on top, its really cool. I've got Evolution placemats and napkins too, but I only drag them out when I'm using my fine china.
                    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

My island it tile and the kids eat there sometimes, I don't like it because its hard to clean the grout.

I have no advice on the tablecloth, we are using an old hand me down table from DH's parents - I just clean it off after every meal. Though we did strip it and restain it a few years ago so that may be why it holds up pretty good.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

DH's family covered their kitchen table with a sheet of glass. Still not the easiest thing to clean, but the table itself is protected.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Too weird. Last night DH cam home from work with what looked like a bag of fabric. When I asked him WTH it was, he showed me a beautiful, hand-made table runner, napkin, and placemat set made for him by a patient. She and her family are recent immigrants from Senegal and she made it all out of traditional prints.

Now I've got to try to figure out how to display it. The set is beautifully made, but coordinates with NOTHING we own.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                            cloth diaper (bought for their cleaning properties, because they're perfect!)
                            LOL, I saved all my infant prefolds for cleaning and they're especially good for wood surfaces -- when I do "real" cleaning and not just after-dinner touch-ups, I use Murphy's Oil Soap on the prefolds.
                            Alison

Comment

Working...
                            X