Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Coffee Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Pots

I'm starting to need a new coffee pot. For the past ten years I've been using french presses. I like the coffee it makes but the quality of the Bodum pots and the hassle of cleaning it is starting to wear me down. The last few days more grounds have been getting into the coffee after pressed and this morning it exploded coffee & grounds out of the spout all over the counter and my hand while pressing it. I was able to get my hand under cold water fast and ended up not getting burned, but I'm just feeling over it. I don't have a ton to spend and I usually drink two cups a day. Dh will usually drink a cup or two of what's left over in the evening (gross I know). Any suggestions? I'm open to all different types.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Anyone use a percolator? I remember my grandmother had one and they seem to be returning in popularity.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

If you find a good percolator let me know, my dad swears it makes the best coffee ever and hasn't been able to find one.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Have you thought about a small Keurig or something similar? I only drink one or two cups of coffee each day, too. I bought DH a fancy-shmancy, top-of-the-line Keurig for our last anniversary because coffee is a food group in our home and the dude had been talking about it forever. He loooooooves it, but I get WAY more use out of it than he does. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I flove that damn thing. Some days, significantly more than the humans around here.

I think Nestlé makes a decent one that isn't overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
          I'm starting to need a new coffee pot. For the past ten years I've been using french presses. I like the coffee it makes but the quality of the Bodum pots and the hassle of cleaning it is starting to wear me down. The last few days more grounds have been getting into the coffee after pressed and this morning it exploded coffee & grounds out of the spout all over the counter and my hand while pressing it. I was able to get my hand under cold water fast and ended up not getting burned, but I'm just feeling over it. I don't have a ton to spend and I usually drink two cups a day. Dh will usually drink a cup or two of what's left over in the evening (gross I know). Any suggestions? I'm open to all different types.
          I don't know about you but after trying the french press I now can't go back to drip coffee, Keurig, ect. The flavor/smoothness is just different. The percolator is great but mine takes too much work/time/cleanup for the one cup of coffee bliss I drink per day. I used to go through french presses every few months because of the same reasons you posted. However, DH bought me this several years ago...as in at least 5 years ago. http://www.planetarydesign.us/produc...action=bootcut He got it because I could replace the filter if ned be and I did not have to worry about the glass breaking. Well, I am still using the original filter and is still going strong. It is one of the best kitchen items I've ever owned....easy to clean too.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
            If you find a good percolator let me know, my dad swears it makes the best coffee ever and hasn't been able to find one.
            This. Up until it finally quit on her last year, my mom still pulled out her ancient percolator for all entertaining events. I don't actually drink coffee, so I have no actual advice. Sorry.
            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

My percolators are old, one was a wedding gift (15 yrs ago) looks likes this new version http://www.target.com/p/Hamilton-Bea...616/-/A-596195 and the other (my fav) was DH's great grandmothers. It is all glass, goes on the stove and it is so cool to watch....ok little things entertain me. Kind of looks like this but imagine all the parts glass http://www.amazon.com/Medelco-cup-St.../dp/B000B58A2Y The problem with both is that they make way more coffee than I want and it is not worth the cleaning afterwards. If you are set on a percolator, have you considered the little ones...like for cuban coffee? Like this http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Expre...9029958&sr=8-2
              I am not suggesting that you make the cuban style of coffee (although it is quite tasty and packs a punch) but maybe you can use it with regular coffee (will have to ground fine) to make a smaller amount?? I have not tried this but I do not see why it would not work.

Comment

If you only drink a cup or two a day you could think about one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000VBBT2Q

I only drink one cup/day and it is what I use instead of getting out the big french press every morning. I would like a Keurig though.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                  I think the Keurig thing makes too much garbage and doesn't save you any money.
                  That is true, I just saw an article the other day about how they're supposed to be figuring out how to recycle their little cups. They do have the best hot chocolate though

Comment

Medpedspouse- that is a great review! I always replace our French presses about 2 times a year-- the one you posted is only 28$... If it lasts that long, awesome deal!!!
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                      Medpedspouse- that is a great review! I always replace our French presses about 2 times a year-- the one you posted is only 28$... If it lasts that long, awesome deal!!!
                      No kidding. That puppy has been with me since fellowship. Best return on that investment.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I can't do drip coffee after all these years of French press coffee. I'm still debating on a electric perk or stove perk or non glass press. I'll let you all know what I end up choosing and how it works out.

Comment

Working...
                        X