Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Christmas lights/holiday lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tip ladies! I'll try the command hook out!

Comment

DH put up lights the last two years - colored LEDs, basically just along the roofline and around a couple windows - but he has already decided not to this year. He's Q4 in December and we're going home for Christmas anyway.

He also suggested we skip the Christmas tree, but I don't think that's going to fly.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We did outside bushed and around the door with the big white lights in our Roch house. We won't decorate this year because our house isn't on the street and its to much work. I want the whole front outlined in white, that is my dream so next year I will pay someone else to do it if I have to.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

After the last 4 years of no Christmas lights outside (because it is dangerous to do...we have a really sloped lot and roofline), I told DH we will have lights this year! We hired a company who did a fantastic job. We went really Griswold and put lights up along the roofline, garages, front door, windows, bushes, and all along our long driveway. I am thrilled and they look SO pretty!
          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

WGW is your neighborhood a good one to come see lights? I'm always looking for good places to take the kids!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I used to love Peacock Lane when I was a kid.

Comment

We've done lights 2 out of the 3 years we've been here, but I'm guessing we won't this year. We did have some that were the big multi-colored bulbs with icicle lights hanging down from them. I liked it; I think DH thought it was too much. It was a huge pain, though, because we had to run lots of extension cords since you could only put 2 or 3 strands together without blowing a fuse. Last year after Christmas I bought lots of the small lights strands, and we threw away the old ones. It'll be plain, but way easier!
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We do our two garden obelisks in our raised beds out front with green lights wrapped tightly around them and then red or colored lights scattered through so they look like stylized Christmas trees. That, and white lights on the porch roof and battery operated white lights on wreaths on the windows. We've got a nail for the door wreath too - but I've always wondered if the wreath wasn't necessary given there is a storm door closed on it. :shrug:

DH is always threatening to get some giant blow up thing for the lawn. Now that the kids are bigger, I think we have successfully avoided that! (Until they grow up enough to give us grandkids!)
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Most of the houses on my block gave storm doors (mine included) and you can still see the wreaths.
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I'll try to take a picture of my neighbors. They have 2 huge blow up things and a ferris wheel. Even though I bought a bunch of lights, my house is going to look plain next to theirs!

I'm going with white larger bulbs along the roof line....just straight across. Unless I convince Russ to get up on the roof and do the one peak we have. I wrapped lights in green fake tree garland and wrapped that around the railing around the front porch. I just got one side done last night but I think it looks good. I put a few red bows along the way so it looks nice during the day too. I got the big shatter resistant ball ornaments from Target for the kids to hang in the trees and bushes as additional daytime decorations. (red and gold). And I got an extra strand of lights to line the driveway/walkway. I like that look but may swap out the simple white lights for something decorative. Might skip it this year too.

My MIL has a wreath sent to us every year from LLBean that I'll hang on the front door (nail is already there). There are also other nails around the front of the house. I guess the previous renters liked decorating. Actually my side neighbor said the guy (early college age) seemed to decorate like it was a competition.

I'll post a pix when it's done.
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

DH has a colleague who fell off the roof a couple of years ago while putting up lights. He can't work as an emergency physician anymore, and is significantly disabled (he broke his back). It's just not worth it, IMO. This year, we're doing candles in each window (our house is a colonial). Next year, I may start hiring someone to put them up because I do love lights. We're still in the process of unpacking, so I think this may be a one Christmas tree year, but I typically have at least three up, sometimes four. I love the holidays!
                        -Deb
                        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                          DH has a colleague who fell off the roof a couple of years ago while putting up lights. He can't work as an emergency physician anymore, and is significantly disabled (he broke his back). It's just not worth it, IMO.
                          This is the exact reason why DH refuses to hang lights, and why we hired a company to do it instead.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                            I used to love Peacock Lane when I was a kid.
                            I love you, W!!! We did Peacock Lane every year growing up. They still do the light tours and to own a house on that street, you have to agree to put up lights every year.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                              WGW is your neighborhood a good one to come see lights? I'm always looking for good places to take the kids!
                              Eh, not really. It's very hilly and spread out, and tough to navigate. You guys should take the kids to Peacock Lane in NE.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                                DH has a colleague who fell off the roof a couple of years ago while putting up lights. He can't work as an emergency physician anymore, and is significantly disabled (he broke his back). It's just not worth it, IMO. This year, we're doing candles in each window (our house is a colonial). Next year, I may start hiring someone to put them up because I do love lights. We're still in the process of unpacking, so I think this may be a one Christmas tree year, but I typically have at least three up, sometimes four. I love the holidays!
                                yep. terrifies me. We hired a local firefighter to put them up. I figure he's good on ladders ...

Comment

Working...
                                X