Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

iMAC CD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iMAC CD drive

My CD drive doesn't work on my iMAC. I'm definitely an Apple novice as well as non techy when it comes to the inner workings. It plays DVDs but not CDs. I can't read the CD from my photo shoot with the kids!

In a quick google search it sounds like its often cheaper to buy an external CD drive. Does anyone here have any advice? Can you direct me to someone I could talk to about it? I hate to drive 1h to the Apple store and be talked into an official Apple product if I don't really need it.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Is it all CD's or just the one from the photo shoot? My photographer had to give me a different, mac compatible, CD when we switched to macs from pcs.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

All CDs. The one from the new printer wouldn't read either. My photographer gave me a second CD when the first didn't work, but she uses a Mac anyway too. The first CD worked on my dads PC laptop and Russ MacBook, but not my iMac.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I am an apple junkie, but I'll be the first to admit their CD/DVD drives suuuuuck. Every apple I've owned has had a drive that crapped out on me. You'll probably need a completely new drive. The last time one died on me, I took it to the apple store, and they just gave me a new one even though the warranty had expired. Even apple seems to know that this is a real problem.
        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Ps. External CD drives don't always work with macs. The external drive they sell on their website does not work on anything but a MacBook Air or Mac Mini, do not buy that one. I have yet to find a suitable external CD drive for a Mac.
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I'm with cp, as much as it might suck I'd try Apple before I just bought another one - they're good about just replacing things that have known issues.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I am an apple junkie, but I'll be the first to admit their CD/DVD drives suuuuuck. Every apple I've owned has had a drive that crapped out on me. You'll probably need a completely new drive. The last time one died on me, I took it to the apple store, and they just gave me a new one even though the warranty had expired. Even apple seems to know that this is a real problem.
              This. I like being able to manually open the drives on PCs when something goes wrong vs. praying/googling with Macs, even though I love them. Is it still under warranty? You could call their support line.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
              X