Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Removing Wallpaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Wallpaper

Okay, I need to get to work! I have a couple of places with only border and one place with full wallpaper. What do I need to know? My mom said to use a scorer and a spray made for removing wallpaper (and she heard fabric softener might work?). But she hasn't done it before, so she wasn't sure.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Oh good, I may need this too - DD do share!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

No, fabric softener doesn't work. You'll want to use a scoring tool (looks like a bunch of pastry wheels attached to a handle) to put tiny holes all over the wall paper to allow the remover to get to the backing and paste.

Then, apply DIF wallpaper remover. I HIGHLY recommend the gel because it stays on the surface longer and allows the enzymes to eat at the paste and sizing more effectively. Follow the directions on the bottle.

It should then almost fall off the wall. Remove all the paper and paper backing, wash walls with TSP (trisodium phosphate, available in every hardware store everywhere), then rinse with clean water and a clean sponge. Let dry, spackle/fill imperfections, prime (if necessary) and paint.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
        No, fabric softener doesn't work. You'll want to use a scoring tool (looks like a bunch of pastry wheels attached to a handle) to put tiny holes all over the wall paper to allow the remover to get to the backing and paste.

Then, apply DIF wallpaper remover. I HIGHLY recommend the gel because it stays on the surface longer and allows the enzymes to eat at the paste and sizing more effectively. Follow the directions on the bottle.

It should then almost fall off the wall. Remove all the paper and paper backing, wash walls with TSP (trisodium phosphate, available in every hardware store everywhere), then rinse with clean water and a clean sponge. Let dry, spackle/fill imperfections, prime (if necessary) and paint.
        Jeez, you make it sound almost easy! Wanna come to my new house? Nearly every surface is wallpapered! This includes ceilings and doors. Good gawd the woman had an unnatural love affair with wallpaper.
        Kris

Comment

In all seriousness, do the steamer things work? I can get my hands on one, but I am wondering if it works better than the DIF gel.
          Kris

Comment

No matter how you slice it, removing wallpaper is a messy pain in the ass. On ceilings?! Holy fuck. Someone had issues.

I've used steamers and they're effective for REALLY old wallpaper that is applied with very old cellulose paste. (I'm talking 1800s and very early 1900s papers.) However, DIF usually takes care of those, too. I prefer to avoid steamers. They rarely make the job easier and ALWAYS make a bigger mess because they tend to leak like crazy.

DIF contains an enzyme that eats away at the paste. The biggest trick is making sure there is a way for it to get to the backing and paste/sizing. That's why it's really important to score the wallpaper. A lot of them are vinyl or have a vinyl coating (that's what makes them washable/scrub able). Unfortch, that also means that it's more difficult to get the remover to the backing and paste.

Comment

Nice! Thank you so much!!!
              Laurie

Comment

Yep, she had issues. In the kitchen, even the outlet covers have wallpaper on them. The paper is in a plaid pattern and the patterns line up precisely. In the upstairs bedrooms, every surface except the trim is wall papered. I am going to be very busy this fall when it is too cold to work outside any more.
                Last edited by HouseofWool; 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM.
                Kris

Comment

Oh wow! That's crazy!
                  Laurie

Comment

Working...
                  X